• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Possible dental needed. Need support/opinions :)

Puddles1999

Junior Guinea Pig
Joined
Jun 4, 2019
Messages
344
Reaction score
176
Points
365
Location
Carbondale, Illinois
I’ve posted on here before about Penelope and needing her molars trimmed every couple years.

She has heart issues which are seemingly very minor. She has been on the same dosage of benezapril and Vetmedin for 2 years now and is still doing really well.

Well her front incisors have started to become quite slanted. Her top and bottoms are slanted. Usually she starts making this mouth motion when her molars start bothering her. I’ve noticed it once after she had an oxbow biscuit but that’s been the only time. She has still been eating really good. Hasn’t lost weight, isn’t having issues eating hay so far. The slanted incisors are just concerning me. I trust one vet to do her dentals and they’re about 4 hours away now (I’ve moved.) I did schedule a thing for Monday to get her looked at and possibly put under (lightly gassed) to have her molars trimmed if she needs them. Which also makes me nervous because she does have that minor heart issue. She has been put under gas to have her molars trimmed in November 2024 and did well, she hasn’t needed one since.

I’m just really stressed because I don’t know what to do. I don’t want to put her under if she doesn’t need it. The slanted incisors are what’s concerning me but she is still doing good. I also don’t want to wait until the last minute and then her teeth get bad. It’s also 4 hours away to and from so it’s quite a jaunt. I guess I’m just looking for support and maybe others opinions. I am feeling quite anxious. 🥹❣️
 
It’s such a worry when they need dentals but start to age and have other issues on top. Can you have a phone appointment with the vet first? As you are so far away. See what their advice would be. They may be able to put your mind at rest. Also could you look around your new area to find another vet closer? 4 hours is a long way to go. It’s great you trust them though. Good luck I hope Penelope is ok. ❤️
 
It’s such a worry when they need dentals but start to age and have other issues on top. Can you have a phone appointment with the vet first? As you are so far away. See what their advice would be. They may be able to put your mind at rest. Also could you look around your new area to find another vet closer? 4 hours is a long way to go. It’s great you trust them though. Good luck I hope Penelope is ok. ❤️
I have always worried whenever she may not be feeling well. She really is doing so well still and has had her molars trimmed after being on heart meds and did great.
4 hours really is such a long way but it’s worth it for her to have a good dental. I have had vets in my area misdiagnose her and she wouldn’t be here if I would’ve believed them unfortunately. :(
I am just stuck on whether I should wait a bit until she starts showing discomfort to be seen. I don’t want to have her teeth messed with if they’re not bothering her. But I also don’t want to wait too long either. 😖
Thank you ❣️
 
I have always worried whenever she may not be feeling well. She really is doing so well still and has had her molars trimmed after being on heart meds and did great.
4 hours really is such a long way but it’s worth it for her to have a good dental. I have had vets in my area misdiagnose her and she wouldn’t be here if I would’ve believed them unfortunately. :(
I am just stuck on whether I should wait a bit until she starts showing discomfort to be seen. I don’t want to have her teeth messed with if they’re not bothering her. But I also don’t want to wait too long either. 😖
Thank you ❣️
It’s a tricky decision. I suppose if she’s not losing weight then she’s eating fine with no discomfort for now.
 
Back
Top