• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Possible Fungal Infection

stellarosie21

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
Rosie, my 4 month old pig, has had what the vet and I believed to be a fungal infection. It started on her nose and there were bald/dry/itchy spots behind her ears and inside her two back legs. I was given some topical treatments since she was too small to be treated orally, and stopped using her bedding in her cage and just stuck with newspaper since the vet told me the fungus spores can live in the bedding. I have treated her with the medicine 1-2 times daily, cleaned her cage daily, and cleaned her food and water bowl/bottles every few days for about a month now. Her spots look better, she is shedding less (although still shedding and itching herself) and hair in those spots has grown back. Her medicine is nearly out, and I plan on using them until they are out, but am wondering if it's okay to start using her bedding again since she is much more comfortable that way and allows me to not have to deep clean her cage every single day! If anyone has had experience with this, a little advice would be much appreciated. Thanks for reading.
<3,
Stella and Rosie

Attachments

• IMG_5183.JPG
    IMG_5183.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 0
I would start with a return visit tot he vet just to be sure he is satisfied the fungal has cleared up.
And I would definitely return to using bedding.
I use fleece, and when Eddi had a fungal problem I continued to use fleece, but made sure to wash it at a higher temperature.

It sounds like you have done a great job caring for her, and it also sounds like she will be fine now.
There is an indepth guide to managing fungal infections here:
Ringworm: Hygiene And Pictures

Back