• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Possible Fungal Or Mite Infection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Natwee88

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I've had my two girls since mid-June from a very reputable rescue. From the first week I've had them I noticed that Flick (white & cream, long haired) was scratching herself quite a lot, was molting and had dandruff. Flick also squeals quite loudly when picked up and doesn't seem to like being touched but I just put that down to her being scared. Flo doesn't show any of these symptoms.

I emailed the rescue, told her of my concerns and was informed that some GP's molt more than others and that both the girls had recently had preventative care for skin infections. I put it out of my mind and decided I was probably just being a paranoid new piggie owner!
That was the very end of June but Flick is still showing all these symptoms. The symptoms don't seem to have gotten any worse (she hasn't got any bald patches) and Flo isn't showing any symptoms either.

Am I being paranoid? I can't afford to get to the vets until the start of next month so, if there is something wrong, is there anything I can do at home until then?

You are not paranoid; natural moulting is never connected with any discomfort.

Please see a vet as soon as you can. Fungal and mange mites need different, but good quality treatment.

Low dosed shop products won't clear any acute mites infestation; they only lead to any eggs buried in the skin developing resistence. It is mush better to save up and treat mange mites with a full course of three rounds of high dosed ivermectin.
It can well be that the immune system is keeping any issue under control or that your girl has got issues remaining from any problems before she has come into rescue, i.e. if she had a bad open mites sore there and hates to be touched or if she has got micrbes etc. getting into an open sore. However, that is for a vet to decide.

Please let us know the outcome. I would strongly recommend to save up some money every week towards vet treatment, as most guinea pigs will need it sooner or later, and it can easily climb into the hundreds of pounds once you get into serious health issues. Emergencies and illness NEVER happen at a convenient time in my experience.
veterinary fees - some important information

All the best! At least then you will know where you stand and can take it from there.

Aaaaand I'm back!
The vet said it could be either fungal or mite so I have been given 8 Xeno (Ivermectin) spot on pipettes to be given in one dose (4 per GP) and also told to buy Canesten 1% cream to apply twice daily. If there isn't any improvement in 7 days then I need to go back.

My credit card is now £90 lighter and hates me! :P

Aaaaand I'm back!
The vet said it could be either fungal or mite so I have been given 8 Xeno spot on pipettes to be given in one dose (4 per GP) and also told to buy Canesten 1% cream to apply twice daily. If there isn't any improvement in 7 days then I need to go back.

My credit card is now £90 lighter and hates me! :P

All the best! Sadly, vets are not cheap, but at least now you are hopefully on course to get your poorly girl sorted!

Thank you, @Wiebke !

Will washing all their bedding and snuggle sacks at 90C kill any remaining nasties or am I best switching to a disposable bedding until they're clear?

Thank you, @Wiebke !

Will washing all their bedding and snuggle sacks at 90C kill any remaining nasties or am I best switching to a disposable bedding until they're clear?

No, you should be OK by washing any fleece at 60 C for the time being. It may be worth investing on getting some F10 disinfecting concentrate or spray for the cage and hard furnishings; it is the only disinfectant that is proven to also kill ringworm spores, so it is a good investment for a regular monthly deep clean. You can't use the disinfectant in the washing machine because of foaming problems.

Washing at 60 is hit enough to kill spores. I can highly recommend F10 disinfectant. I buy mine from the vets as it's cheaper from there than on Amazon. If you have any wooden toys/ houses/ bridges you are best to soak them in it too.

It will be a week on Tuesday since medication was started and Flick has gotten worse :( She now has visible bald patches and sores. I'm a little confused as to why she would so suddenly get worse?
Obviously I'll be getting her back to the vets as soon as I can.

She may need skin scrapes taking and/or to have a systemic anti fungal medication or a different parasite treatment. Don't panic - you are doing the right thing taking her back to the vets. These things often get worse before they get better. I've been dealing with a fungal infection in one of my piggies who got worse very quickly. The vet prescribed treatment that has cured her but it took a while.

Thank you for your reassurance. I won't be able to get to the vet until the 29th at the earliest because I'm working so I'm worried that will be leaving it too long.

Thank you for your reassurance. I won't be able to get to the vet until the 29th at the earliest because I'm working so I'm worried that will be leaving it too long.

Personally I wouldn't leave it that long. If she has sores then she is clearly in discomfort and in accordance with the five freedoms you should try to get her seen sooner. Can someone take her to the vet for you? Or could you take some time off to get to the vets? Mine offer late nights and early morning appointments so I can usually just take a short time off and make it up later.

Here is our fungal guide; you can see that in the case of fungal, the hairs in the affected areas need to come out (fungal sits usually at the root of the hair) before a guinea pig can heal. Normally, mites treatment with ivermectin takes three rounds, spaced 1-2 weeks apart to get on top of all mites. The first two rounds are there to kill all existing mites as well as those that emerge from the eggs buried into the skin; the third round is there to ensure that there are no stragglers. You can order xeno online with the permission of your vet.
Ringworm: Hygiene And Pictures

Could you post a picture?

My little guy had a fungal infection too when I got him, and after two doses of antibiotics he's all clear now! My vet, however, gave me a small bottle of stuff to bath him with every couple of weeks. It was all natural, containing tee tree oil and eucalyptus oil among other things. She makes it up herself and gives it to everyone who's pet has a skin condition as it soothes the itch. My little guy was tearing at his skin and had lots of little sores when his condition was at it's worst.

I have to say it really worked! Along with his oral antibiotics, he improved rapidly! I still use it when I wash him and his coat is always lovely and soft afterwards.

Perhaps if you bathe your piggy with a little tea tree oil added to her bath water it may ease the itching for her?

Here is our fungal guide; you can see that in the case of fungal, the hairs in the affected areas need to come out (fungal sits usually at the root of the hair) before a guinea pig can heal. Normally, mites treatment with ivermectin takes three rounds, spaced 1-2 weeks apart to get on top of all mites. The first two rounds are there to kill all existing mites as well as those that emerge from the eggs buried into the skin; the third round is there to ensure that there are no stragglers. You can order xeno online with the permission of your vet.
Ringworm: Hygiene And Pictures

Could you post a picture?

Thank you @Wiebke. The girls should be getting back to the vet on Wednesday evening but I'll try and get a photo tomorrow. I did find it strange (after lots of reading on here!) that I was only given one dose of Ivermectin.

Something else which has come up today, I gave the girls a bath last night to remove some of the cream from their hair which is clogging it up. Since I got in from work this evening I have noticed that Flick is kind of harassing Flo, I'm not sure if Flick is trimming her fur, but Flo is then turning around and going for Flick. This is making Flick squeal very loudly but Flick is still trying to groom Flo.
They never used to groom each other (I think they only just tolerate each other!) so this is brand new behaviour since I bathed them.
Any thoughts on this? I'm sorry I can't be more descriptive but it's very hard to describe! I'll try to get a video if it continues tomorrow.

Thank you @Wiebke. The girls should be getting back to the vet on Wednesday evening but I'll try and get a photo tomorrow. I did find it strange (after lots of reading on here!) that I was only given one dose of Ivermectin.

Something else which has come up today, I gave the girls a bath last night to remove some of the cream from their hair which is clogging it up. Since I got in from work this evening I have noticed that Flick is kind of harassing Flo, I'm not sure if Flick is trimming her fur, but Flo is then turning around and going for Flick. This is making Flick squeal very loudly but Flick is still trying to groom Flo.
They never used to groom each other (I think they only just tolerate each other!) so this is brand new behaviour since I bathed them.
Any thoughts on this? I'm sorry I can't be more descriptive but it's very hard to describe! I'll try to get a video if it continues tomorrow.

You may find my guide on barbering informative: Barbering ( Eating Hair)

Next new update!
I took the girls to a different vets today because I couldn't get in at the original vets and I wasn't happy with outcome. I'm so happy that I went to this new vets! She was so much nicer and really seemed interested in Flick and Flo. She has given them an injection and given me an anti-fungal shampoo. I have to go back in two weeks for another injection and to see how they're getting on. My new vet was also very confused as to why I was only given one dose of Ivermectin. I feel so much more at ease now and like it's going to get sorted.
I'm sure I'll update in two weeks after their next appointment.

Next new update!
I took the girls to a different vets today because I couldn't get in at the original vets and I wasn't happy with outcome. I'm so happy that I went to this new vets! She was so much nicer and really seemed interested in Flick and Flo. She has given them an injection and given me an anti-fungal shampoo. I have to go back in two weeks for another injection and to see how they're getting on. My new vet was also very confused as to why I was only given one dose of Ivermectin. I feel so much more at ease now and like it's going to get sorted.
I'm sure I'll update in two weeks after their next appointment.

I gather the injection is ivermectin? it is the most effective way of treating for mange mites in my experience.

What brand of shampoo have you been given?

Yeah, it is Ivermectin injections. For the shampoo I have been given Malaseb which is to be used twice a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back