• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

possibly sick guinea pig? please advise

bxcgp

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
my guinea pig was adopted just over two weeks ago, and has been doing pretty well. he gets along with his cagemate, has bright eyes and is constantly popcorning. i haven’t weighed him yet, as he is still not comfortable being picked up.
so, he’s been a pretty happy, healthy pig. however, over the past day or so he’s started sitting underneath a pocket in his fleece liner (guineadad) and facing the corner. he doesn’t respond if i touch his bum, but if i gently lift him out of the cage then he suddenly wakes up and is the same piggy again. but he’ll do the same thing again a few hours later. at night, he also randomly squeals as if in pain or scared. however when i look him over he seems fine and there’s no apparent cause. am i just a paranoid new owner or is something wrong? please help!

If you are unsure I would seek a vet just to get the all clear.

The squeaking at night, could possibly be a mini scrap with his cage mate? I keep my two boys in my bedroom and I know that at night I get the odd scuffle and squeak. Is he long haired? My longhaired boy was getting barbered by my shorter haired piggy and this often led to a sudden sharp squeak.

The sitting in corner is a bit worrying only because he could be lethargic? Guinea pigs are prey animals so will hide that their ill for as long as possible which maybe why when you pick him up he suddenly perks up again.

How is his appetite? Poos?

To be honest I would take him to a vet for a check up.
Sitting facing the corner is a classic sign that he could be in pain or doesn't feel good.

As he is quite new to you it would be worth ruling out any medical issues early on.

If you are unsure I would seek a vet just to get the all clear.

The squeaking at night, could possibly be a mini scrap with his cage mate? I keep my two boys in my bedroom and I know that at night I get the odd scuffle and squeak. Is he long haired? My longhaired boy was getting barbered by my shorter haired piggy and this often led to a sudden sharp squeak.

The sitting in corner is a bit worrying only because he could be lethargic? Guinea pigs are prey animals so will hide that their ill for as long as possible which maybe why when you pick him up he suddenly perks up again.

How is his appetite? Poos?
his appetite is healthy and he’s eating normally, poos seem a tiny bit soft so i’m going to feed them smaller amounts of veggies for the next week or so. this morning i woke up and he was popcorning and wheeking for food, so he seems normal in all prospects except the sitting in the corner.

his appetite is healthy and he’s eating normally, poos seem a tiny bit soft so i’m going to feed them smaller amounts of veggies for the next week or so. this morning i woke up and he was popcorning and wheeking for food, so he seems normal in all prospects except the sitting in the corner.

Hi and welcome

Block the corner off so your piggy cannot hide underneath and uses his usual hideys; piggies love snuggle into a tight space.
Is your new piggy a single or does he have a companion?

Please take the time to read these links here:
Arrival in a home from the perspective of pet shop guinea pigs
Companionship
Housing, Enrichment and Seasonal care
Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

Hi and welcome

Block the corner off so your piggy cannot hide underneath and uses his usual hideys; piggies love snuggle into a tight space.
Is your new piggy a single or does he have a companion?

Please take the time to read these links here:
Arrival in a home from the perspective of pet shop guinea pigs
Companionship
Housing, Enrichment and Seasonal care
Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets
oh i would never leave him in there without a cagemate. :) he has a brother named cocoa. i’ll try that and i will read the links. thanks <3

Back