• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Prazosin To Treat Bladder Stones? Vet Recommendation In Lieu Of Surgery

feisty cavy

New Born Pup
Reaction score
The vet recommended trying Prazosin to relax my older female guinea pig's urethra to allow her to pass her bladder stones. He researched that this had been done successfully once, per a medical article.

The bladder stones were found during an ultrasound. Surgery is out of my price range. She is currently on Meloxicam to make her feel more comfortable.

Has anyone else utilized Prazosin to treat their guinea pig's bladder stones?

Completely agree @Claire W @Lady Kelly
Surgery is the only way to remove stones and I too would worry about a stone getting stuck and blocking the flow of urine. Would your vet allow you to set up a payment plan for the surgery?

He has given me the option of purchasing insurance with a finance plan, however, it is quite expensive. I appreciate all of the advice. I too was concerned that the stones may become stuck, as this medication is not commonly used for guinea pigs.

I agree with the other posters, too. I am sorry that your piggy has a stone or stones but surgery really is her only option to remove them safely.

One of my older sows, Chloe, passes small bladder stones at intervals. She is on metacam and gabapentin as pain relief which l up in dose when she is having a flare up. She has a very thickened bladder wall which the vet feels would be difficult to operate on, and she may just form another stone in any case. She remains well and in good health despite the occasional flare up. I have adjusted her diet so the frequency of stone formation is much reduced.
Often in sows a stone can be removed by just cutting into the urethral area to increase the opening and squeezing the stone out, l have had a couple of sows where this was successful. Obviously it wouldn't be possible in boars as the risk of blocking the urethra is great.
So it all depends on the size of the stone and how much discomfort your piggy is in.

I’ve got a 4 year old boar, who’s just been diagnosed with a bladder stone. So my vet isn’t keen on surgery as of the risk with his heart failure, so he’s on Metacam, Baytril as he also has a UTI, and he’s on something called Cysta calm, which helps relax the bladder, and aid it’s function similar maybe to what your vet is trying to do. My vet reckons that there’s a chance with pushing fluids it can be conservatively managed, as well as changing his diet, to removing the pellets containing calcium and increasing watery foods. We’re just monitoring how well Teddy manages with this treatment, so I guess it’s similar to yours. But obviously if his pain becomes worse or it blocks then he will be for surgery.

hope this helps you a bit!

I’ve got a 4 year old boar, who’s just been diagnosed with a bladder stone. So my vet isn’t keen on surgery as of the risk with his heart failure, so he’s on Metacam, Baytril as he also has a UTI, and he’s on something called Cysta calm, which helps relax the bladder, and aid it’s function similar maybe to what your vet is trying to do. My vet reckons that there’s a chance with pushing fluids it can be conservatively managed, as well as changing his diet, to removing the pellets containing calcium and increasing watery foods. We’re just monitoring how well Teddy manages with this treatment, so I guess it’s similar to yours. But obviously if his pain becomes worse or it blocks then he will be for surgery.

hope this helps you a bit!
Sorry it’s Nutra cyst and Nutra calm he’s on, not cysta calm!

This might be a cheaper long term option to help manage symptoms without surgery, this is what Teddy takes twice a day

Attachments

• DD4879E2-EE41-4883-A85F-F9B942B23025.jpeg
    DD4879E2-EE41-4883-A85F-F9B942B23025.jpeg
    61.6 KB · Views: 12
Back