• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Pus-draining advice

Lilaclemons

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello! I have a guinea pig of about 7-8 years who had recurring abscess growth on her neck. While we’ve tried our best to care for it, due to health risk and cost we’ve decided against testing. In the end, we’ve removed the abscess three times, and it continues to return to no avail, even with antibiotics. Supposedly this third attempt at its termination should be our last, however I am nervous about draining the cut post-surgery. We were told to massage the area with a hot water soaked gauze twice a day. I have been doing so, and on the third day of this, about 2 to 3 teaspoons of pus came out. I am worried i might be missing some steps on how to drain. Any advice on how to drain, or keep my pig happy? Or what we should do about prevention of this mystery abscess? I’d simply appreciate any opinions on how to do this. Thank you! :)
If you want photos simply comment so

Hi there

Sorry you find yourself in this situation, I have been in a similar one recently. My boy Buzz had an abscess on his neck that kept refilling. Are you meant to be flushing it? Buzz had his left open and I had to squirt saline into the abscess and massage it out? I would ring your vet to confirm the process. I took Buzz back to the vet on the second day an saw a nurse who showed me how to do it. Would that be an option for you?

Thank you! Unfortunately they were in a rush, and the instructions never mentioned saline. The growth seems to be about the size of a quarter, despite being removed, so I’m worried I might be not doing it thoroughly enough if anything.

I would definitely call your vet back and ask for it to be clarified. I'm in the UK so not really sure what a quarter size is but if the abscess has just been lanced and drained, rather than removed, there will be a capsule there which will still cause it to feel like a lump. Buzz's was still a pretty big lump even when empty. Ultimately we had the full surgery for buzz and he is two weeks on from that tomorrow and doing amazing x

Back