Putting Baby Pigs From Separate Litters Together?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexandra West

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
IMG_5613.JPG
I just got a baby Abyssinian pig about 6-8 weeks old. He's been acting a bit strange, but that's on another one of my thread things. We only got one because he was the only one the store had left. we have two chinchillas but he's much too young to be introduced to them yet. Is it okay to put another baby pig with him if it's not from the same litter? Another pet store not too far away has male babies, but we are scared to put him with one not from his family. Is that an okay thing to do?

Cavy Kung-Fu

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
I'd be careful about introducing different species as piggies are pretty defenceless. I call them potatoes with legs lol.

Have you got a rescue near you? I can't see your location, if you haven't added it to your profile it's helpful to do so as other members can advise a bit better :)

You can bond non-related piggies together but it's a tricky thing with boys called Boar Dating, it would be better to work with a rescue to do this as not all piggies will get along and it's best to have someone with experience to help bond. Males can take time to find a suitable friend, usually a baby pig with an older adult pig and always on neutral territory.

Hope this helps.

Alexandra West

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'd be careful about introducing different species as piggies are pretty defenceless. I call them potatoes with legs lol.

Have you got a rescue near you? I can't see your location, if you haven't added it to your profile it's helpful to do so as other members can advise a bit better :)

You can bond non-related piggies together but it's a tricky thing with boys called Boar Dating, it would be better to work with a rescue to do this as not all piggies will get along and it's best to have someone with experience to help bond. Males can take time to find a suitable friend, usually a baby pig with an older adult pig and always on neutral territory.

Hope this helps.
I will put my location onto my profile c: sadly, I've found out that Finnian, my little boy, more than likely has a URI...

Cavy Kung-Fu

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Poor little boy, I saw your other post but unfortunately I can't help on that as I have no experience with this. Just hope that he gets better soon! Has he been to a cavy savvy vets?

I don't know whether it's worth waiting til he's better for introductions, but it's certainly worth getting in touch with a rescue now and get the ball rolling. I believe there is a handy rescue locator on here that you can have a look at to find a good one!

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
View attachment 57091
I just got a baby Abyssinian pig about 6-8 weeks old. He's been acting a bit strange, but that's on another one of my thread things. We only got one because he was the only one the store had left. we have two chinchillas but he's much too young to be introduced to them yet. Is it okay to put another baby pig with him if it's not from the same litter? Another pet store not too far away has male babies, but we are scared to put him with one not from his family. Is that an okay thing to do?
Please do not put different species together! You can keep your little boy next to the chinchilla cage for stimulation for the time being, but for the longer term he needs company of his own kind.
Unfortunately, there are no good guinea pig rescues listed for your state, but can you get to one of these?
Guinea Lynx :: US Guinea Pig Rescue and Shelter Organizations

Alexandra West

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Neutering is expensive in the US, but if you can get to a good vet, you could consider it and then pairing up with a sow after a 6 weeks safety wait (one of my piggy is the legacy from a supposedly safe over 5 weeks post-op boar; not one of mine). Your boy would need to be 4-6 months old (i.e. his testicles need to be full descended and he needs to be a good operation weight. Cross gender bonds are the most stable bondings once initial acceptance has happened, which with a little shop baby sow is pretty much a given.
Guinea Lynx Records :: Topic - Veterinarians: Ohio

Freela

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Whether or not guinea pigs get along has more to do with temperament and personality than whether they are littermates or not. I've had several pairings of pigs, none related, and all got along fine. There is a header at the top of the page that can help with introductions. Obviously he will need to clear the URI first, and you will need to do a quarantine period before introducing two pigs from different places to ensure that everyone is healthy first. I would also be wary of giving him time with the chinchillas, both due to the risk of them passing a disease between them and because guinea pigs are just not that alert when it comes to other animals. I'm sure a chinchilla could potentially harm a guinea pig before it even thought to fight back. We don't even let the hamster interact with the guinea pigs because I'm pretty sure that even she could bite them pretty badly pretty fast. A lot of other rodents are much feistier than guinea pigs. Guinea pigs are too docile for their own good when it comes to fending off other species!

Status
Not open for further replies.