• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Red patch on Guinea Pig body

Joe Scholar

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
my 7 month old piggie Daisy has a red patch, close to the top of her front leg.
any help would be great.
I have attached photos.
Thanks, Joe

Attachments

• CE4FE11C-1E6D-4E1A-A790-3D6CEC7CEB4A.jpeg
    CE4FE11C-1E6D-4E1A-A790-3D6CEC7CEB4A.jpeg
    57.8 KB · Views: 13
  • BFFD13A4-581A-41E6-8A77-0F1B7432D513.jpeg
    BFFD13A4-581A-41E6-8A77-0F1B7432D513.jpeg
    65.7 KB · Views: 15
  • C0FFCABD-2C02-46C5-A026-CA46D6C3EA4C.jpeg
    C0FFCABD-2C02-46C5-A026-CA46D6C3EA4C.jpeg
    65.4 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 14
Have you had a close look? It looks like a wound from this angle

Have you had a close look? It looks like a wound from this angle
Hi,
I’ve tried to look but she’s very skittish and won’t let you touch her.
She doesn’t seem to be as active either at the moment.
any ideas?

Hi,
I’ve tried to look but she’s very skittish and won’t let you touch her.
She doesn’t seem to be as active either at the moment.
any ideas?

Do you have someone to help. Perhaps one person could swaddle her in a towel and the other have a look? If you can't do this then you need to see a vet asap so they can have a good look and find out what's happened. It could be a bite mark either self inflicted or from a cage mate or if could be scratches from mites, lice or fungal infection. Even with a close up photo we just aren't qualified to diagnose

Thank you,
I was planning to take her to the vet anyway tomorrow but thank you for the confirmation, I’m really worried about her.
Thanks, Joe

I hope you get some answers tomorrow. Unfortunately piggies always time these things for weekends or holidays to be the most inconvenient as vets aren't generally open. Is she eating, drinking and pooping normally?

Yeah she seems to be eating loads, if not more than usual.
She doesn’t drink much in general but I have seen her at the bottle, and still plenty of poops.

Yeah she seems to be eating loads, if not more than usual.
She doesn’t drink much in general but I have seen her at the bottle, and still plenty of poops.

That's good. That means whatever the mark is it isn't causing her so much difficulty that she is stopping eating and means you can wait until the vets is open tomorrow. Does she have a cagemate? And how long have you had her?

That's good. That means whatever the mark is it isn't causing her so much difficulty that she is stopping eating and means you can wait until the vets is open tomorrow. Does she have a cagemate? And how long have you had her?
Yes, she’s in with her sister Coco. She does seem to be lying down more than usual but i’m not sure whether it’s the heat of this weekend that maybe she’s worn out? I’ve had her since early February and they were both born in November.

Yes, she’s in with her sister Coco. She does seem to be lying down more than usual but i’m not sure whether it’s the heat of this weekend that maybe she’s worn out? I’ve had her since early February and they were both born in November.

Ok, I think if her cage mate had purposely bit her you would know about it. I've only had it happen once but the tension was eerie and palpable! It could be something like ringworm which normally comes up on the face first but when daisy got it it came up on her chest. Either way the vet will be able to figure it out

Ok, I think if her cage mate had purposely bit her you would know about it. I've only had it happen once but the tension was eerie and palpable! It could be something like ringworm which normally comes up on the face first but when daisy got it it came up on her chest. Either way the vet will be able to figure it out
Thank you for your help.
So do you think it’s anything serious that needs immediate attention?

Thank you for your help.
So do you think it’s anything serious that needs immediate attention?

Yes, whilst its not a medical emergency you should be going to the vet as soon as possible during normal opening hours for a correct diagnosis and promlt treatment

Back