• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Ref: Hand-feeding A Guinea - Where Is The Best Place To Buy Oxbow Critical Care, Coventry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dewi Rhys Jones

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
hi guys

just following on from my last thread - Joni is still with us and is slowly eating by herself.
I am still feeding her Critical Care and keeping an eye on her weight, however I need to get some more.

I live in Coventry and dont drive, so I cant go around the pet shops to see who stocks it. Just wondered if there is anybody here who knows where i could get some?
Other than that i need to order some from Amazon tonight. I should have enough for now, but dont want to be caught short

I don't know many actual shops that sell it but a local vet may do. I would just mush your usual pellets instead until it arrives from Amazon.

i am going to start mushing up pellets today, as hopefully that will encourage her to start eating her normal food again
she is eating treats (albeit very slowly) - but from tomorrow i have to go back to work full time so need to try encourage her to be eating by herself

I've always had to order from Amazon, although your vets may have some recovery food they can provide as a stop gap. Otherwise I use mushed pellets like Helen does while waiting for supplies.

hi guys

just following on from my last thread - Joni is still with us and is slowly eating by herself.
I am still feeding her Critical Care and keeping an eye on her weight, however I need to get some more.

I live in Coventry and dont drive, so I cant go around the pet shops to see who stocks it. Just wondered if there is anybody here who knows where i could get some?
Other than that i need to order some from Amazon tonight. I should have enough for now, but dont want to be caught short

Your vet may have some, but in a pinch you can switch to giving mushed up pellets or a mix of recovery formula and pellets while you wait for an online delivery. There is nobody in Coventry that sells in their shop.

thanks for the answers folks -

i usually give my pigs Harrington's pellets (the posh ones in most supermarkets).
I have found they are far easier to mush up and feed her, the consistency is better for the syringe too, and she seems to resist less with it. Am alternating between the two. also refining my technique to feed her. feel a bit bad sometimes if i keep bumping her mouth, and it can be so frustrating, but am finding the best way is literally have an hour or so to do it and not panic. the calmer i am the calmer she is

also - i managed to get some CritcalCare delivered too. I signed up for the AmazonPrime trial, which gives you one next-day delivery on Amazon for free. Bought it about 6pm last night and its already been delivered to my local post office, so will pick up on the way home. Is very good in an emergency, and i have cancelled the trial so i wont get charged anything :)

Hopefully even if Joni is back up and running soon it will be good to have it on standby

in general she will happily eat Kale and Spinach if torn up into smaller pieces, so good to see her appetite is still there. am due to arrange more antibiotics/metacam based on Simons suggestion at the weekend, as she does seem to be gradually improving.

my only worry is i have to go back to 9-5 work hours this week, i cant have any more time off. so have give her as big a feed as possible this morning, and then will make sure she has plenty when i get home. she weighed 967g when i left this morning, so her weight is gradually going back up (though mainly from syringe feeding i think)

in general she will happily eat Kale and Spinach if torn up into smaller pieces, so good to see her appetite is still there. am due to arrange more antibiotics/metacam based on Simons suggestion at the weekend, as she does seem to be gradually improving.

my only worry is i have to go back to 9-5 work hours this week, i cant have any more time off. so have give her as big a feed as possible this morning, and then will make sure she has plenty when i get home. she weighed 967g when i left this morning, so her weight is gradually going back up (though mainly from syringe feeding i think)

You could try and see how she is with a bowl of mushed up pellets during the day. It is most likely not going to make up for syringe feeding, though, but she may be dipping into them, especially if they are slightly warm when you leave them.
Try to get a couple of syringe feeding sessions in during the evening. I hope that there is going a slow improvement.

Hello Everyone :)

Just wanted to give a quick update on here, as I was so busy caring for my pets that I actually lost track of this place. Everyone had been a great help, and were amazingly supportive when i felt i was losing it a little bit

Anyway, the good news is Joni is back to full health. Shes 1kg+ and eating all her food as normal. I am weighing her every morning to keep an eye on her progress, and also keeping a closer eye on her roommate Alice.

Simon and his wife were amazingly helpful at the Cat & Rabbit care clinic, along with Debbie @ TEAS, and I cannot thank them enough. If you have a sick pig and are wondering whether the trip is worth it then I'd recommend you seek them out straight away - they are guinea encyclopaedias!

I know for a fact Joni wouldn't be doing as well as she is if I'd took her to my local vets

Just wanted to give a quick update on here, as I was so busy caring for my pets that I actually lost track of this place. Everyone had been a great help, and were amazingly supportive when i felt i was losing it a little bit

Anyway, the good news is Joni is back to full health. Shes 1kg+ and eating all her food as normal. I am weighing her every morning to keep an eye on her progress, and also keeping a closer eye on her roommate Alice.

Simon and his wife were amazingly helpful at the Cat & Rabbit care clinic, along with Debbie @ TEAS, and I cannot thank them enough. If you have a sick pig and are wondering whether the trip is worth it then I'd recommend you seek them out straight away - they are guinea encyclopaedias!

I know for a fact Joni wouldn't be doing as well as she is if I'd took her to my local vets

That is wonderful news! Several of my piggies wouldn't have lived as long as they did without the Cat&Rabbit. My Hywel is still going 5 years after nearly dying from some rare post-op complications and being given up by the operating vets.

I'm absolutely over the moon that Joni has made a full recovery. Simon and Kim are amazing. TEAS wouldn't exist without them. I'm so glad I was able to help too. X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back