• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

aycabuyuker

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone, i have a big immeadiate problem with my guinea pig. He is 3,5 years old, had a stone in his bladder and stone was surgically removed. But just two weeks later now he has a bladder stone again!😔
The stone removed was 8 mm. The second stone, which is newly formed in 2 weeks, is 7 mm. He will be operated on again tomorrow. I do not know how such a large stone was formed in such a short time. In addition, since the film was taken after the operation, we are sure that the stone was formed later. There were mistakes I made in his diet, but I don't know if a stone of 7 mm in size can form again in 2 weeks due to feeding or if it is a hormonal disorder. I can't find a veterinarian who understands, I will search all your suggestions and try to find a solution to prevent stone formation.
This is my first post here and my native language is not English so please forgive my mistakes. Detailed story below. Thank you from now.

I have had two guinea pigs for 3 years. At the beginning of May, I noticed that the guinea pig was crying while urinating. Then we saw that there was a bladder stone on the X-ray. On May 8, the stone was surgically removed. He used before surgery enrofloxacin(antibiotic) for 7 days and vitamin C for 4 days. After the surgery he use Baytril(antibiotic) for 7 days and meloxicam(pain killer) for 4-5 days. We learned that the stone content is magnesium and calcium.(I can share lab test results)
After the surgery he was recovering, his appetite and movements had increased, and his urination was almost normal. 4-5 days ago he started to cry while urinating again. Yesterday, I noticed blood in his urine and as a result of the x-ray, we saw that the stone was formed again.
Before he got sick, I fed him with alfaalfa (unfortunately, I just learned that it should not be given to adults), mixed packed guinea pig food(called muesli mix or else, contains basely alfaalfa pellet) and daily vegetables (pepper in general, green pepper, green bell pepper, capia pepper, parsley, carrot, carrot peel, cucumber peel, cucumber, very rarely I was feeding him with fruit) and I was giving him from the tap water that we also consumed.
During he had almost no appetite for 5 days before and after the surgery, I mixed the pellet(alfaalfa) food with water and fed him with a syringe.
After the surgery to reduce calcium intake, I cut out the alfalfa hay and replaced it with timothy-like hay(I couldnt translate this hay type because we have here general alfaalfa) . However, the pellet content that I have access in my country consists of alfalfa pellet, so I could only mix his food with other brands. And as drinking water, I gave bottled water for the first five days and then tap water again. I started giving bottled water again yesterday. I wish I always had bottled water :(

He will have surgery again tomorrow, but I don't know what I can do to prevent the stone forming again. Even the veterinerian who performed the surgery does not know how we can regulate his diet or any medical treatment. Another veterinarian recommended a herbal medicine called Vedavet- Kotervin, but I am not sure if it will be enough for a stone, that formed in such a short time😔 If you have any suggestions for another medicine and/or dietary regulation, I would be very happy :(

So sorry to hear about this!
I must admit I am also shocked that he developed another stone in such a short time.

I was told not to feed alfalfa to adult piggies, but someone will be here to guide you in this difficult time.

I’m sorry to hear this.

Genetics and diet play a part. An owner obviously cannot do anything about genetics so diet is the only thing we can control.
As you now know, alfalfa (in any form - either alfalfa in ‘hay’ form (i put hay in the commas because alfalfa isn’t a grass hay at all it’s a legume), nor in pelleted food) should be avoided so If you have a hay now which is not alfalfa then I would give him that and the vegetables and not give the muesli/pellet food at all. Parsley is also high in calcium so I would avoid that also now.
However any changes you make to the diet will take several weeks to have any effect and reduce the calcium levels in his body.

This guide explains more about the diet

Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

I hope his surgery goes well

So sorry to hear about this!
I must admit I am also shocked that he developed another stone in such a short time.

I was told not to feed alfalfa to adult piggies, but someone will be here to guide you in this difficult time.
We were all shocked... Thank you for your answer.

I’m sorry to hear this.

Genetics and diet play a part. An owner obviously cannot do anything about genetics so diet is the only thing we can control.
As you now know, alfalfa (in any form - either alfalfa in ‘hay’ form (i put hay in the commas because alfalfa isn’t a grass hay at all it’s a legume), nor in pelleted food) should be avoided so If you have a hay now which is not alfalfa then I would give him that and the vegetables and not give the muesli/pellet food at all. Parsley is also high in calcium so I would avoid that also now.
However any changes you make to the diet will take several weeks to have any effect and reduce the calcium levels in his body.

This guide explains more about the diet

Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

I hope his surgery goes well
Thank you very much for the recommendations. I read this article, it is full of really useful information. I learned low-calcium vegetables and I will apply them. I'm also thinking of not giving any pellets. But I don't know if only hay and vegetables will be enough.

Thank you very much for the recommendations. I read this article, it is full of really useful information. I learned low-calcium vegetables and I will apply them. I'm also thinking of not giving any pellets. But I don't know if only hay and vegetables will be enough.

Grass hay is 80% of the daily food intake.
Veg is supplementary at 10%
Pellets just 5%.

So, it is absolutely fine to not feed pellets (particularly when considering you can only get alfalfa pellets). Not giving pellets will have very little effect given the absolutely tiny proportion of the diet they make up. My own piggies get pellets just three times a week, but they have a wide variety of veg and fill up on hay.

The fact your pellets are alfalfa based and the fact he has had two bladder stones, then cutting out pellets would be the first thing I would do if it were me.

Truly shocking!

Your boy is so cute. Is that him in your avatar? How cute!
Yes he is. Cute little poor thing😞💔 and his bestfriend

Attachments

• 28C07293-9989-4F59-AF9D-D895A7FCCC2B.webp
    28C07293-9989-4F59-AF9D-D895A7FCCC2B.webp
    59.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 7E426F07-1D45-44DF-81F0-431D7FE2EEF9.webp
    7E426F07-1D45-44DF-81F0-431D7FE2EEF9.webp
    53 KB · Views: 4
  • DB7C8D82-DCCF-413C-83FF-C54A54971BD9.webp
    DB7C8D82-DCCF-413C-83FF-C54A54971BD9.webp
    37.3 KB · Views: 4
Grass hay is 80% of the daily food intake.
Veg is supplementary at 10%
Pellets just 5%.

So, it is absolutely fine to not feed pellets (particularly when considering you can only get alfalfa pellets). Not giving pellets will have very little effect given the absolutely tiny proportion of the diet they make up. My own piggies get pellets just three times a week, but they have a wide variety of veg and fill up on hay.

The fact your pellets are alfalfa based and the fact he has had two bladder stones, then cutting out pellets would be the first thing I would do if it were me.
You are right, I will cut the pellets. Thank you so much🙂

Welcome to the forum.
So sorry that you are having such a problem with bladder stones.
I hope that you can help with his diet to avoid any more.

Back