• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Rescued Female guinea pig, very aggressive with baby guinea pig

Theleavesoffall

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi! I recently adopted 2 guinea pigs. I got Ivy (1 month old) from a pet store, and rescued a 4 month old guinea pig named Hope about a month ago. They are both females. Hope was found left in her cage in a garbage can :( and no one knows what happened to her before that, but appears perfectly healthy. When I tried to introduce them in a neutral space, Hope immediately became pretty aggressive towards Ivy and has continued to be aggressive the entire month I’ve had them both. At one point, Hope bit Ivy so hard that she had to go to the vet. I separated them after that. I have done hours upon hours of research, but I cannot find a reason why she is acting like this. When she isn’t with any other Guinea pig, she is perfectly calm and cuddly, but when Ivy comes near her she bites her. She also doesn’t display any signs of aggression before this usually, no teeth chattering, no rumblestrutting, and no yawning. I had 2 male Guinea pigs before them ( they unfortunately passed away) so I am familiar with how they act. I love them so much and I just want them to be the happiest pigs they can be! Please help me! I am desperate

Also Ivy insists on being close to Hope, seeking comfort whenever they aren’t separated which just causes Hope to bite more. Ivy rumblestruts but never even remotely tries to defend herself.

It may be her previous living arrangements that may have made her behave the way she is. Have a read of the guide I’ve linked below. I’ll also tag @Wiebke @PigglePuggle @VickiA
@Piggies&buns

I would say if Hope bit her that bad then you need to keep them separate. That means no floor time, lap time, any time together at all.

Moody guinea pigs: Depression, Bullying, Aggression, Stress, Fear and Antisocial Behaviour
Hi! Thank you for replying! Should I get another Guinea pig for Ivy to bond so that she doesn’t get lonely?

The best way would be to try her with several at a rescue that does dating. I don’t know how many (if any) there are near you. Have a read of the guide above and also wait on help from others.

Living alongside each other will stave off any loneliness for both of them.

Back