• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Running nose and sneezing

EllieHawkins

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I lost a Guinea pig and it left my eldest Peaches alone. I decided she needs company and looked around for a guinea pig. I found a young Abyssinian girl and I fell in love! She was checked before I took her and she was clear. Once home I put her into my big indoor pen (can’t have guinea pigs outside due to where I live!) I use fleece as I’m not a fan of sawdust, it made my last piggies have dry and crusted feet! (Changed to megazorbz). Anyway, it has the fleece flooring where the beds are and a small area of the pen is plastic where the hay and food is. I got her out for a small cuddle and she sneezes on me. I notice her nose is wet so I take her straight to a vet, she told me she was a healthy girl and listened to her chest and it was fine. Does anyone know what it can be? Allergies maybe? I thought the fleece or what I’d washed it in was a problem so I’ve moved her into the big cage and put my eldest into the pen after cleaning everything thoroughly in case there was dust etc. I’d really appreciate some help with this! She’s only little and I want to make sure everything is okay for her. I’m willing to go back to the vet if it gets any worse or it’s a sign of a URI.

Forgot to add also. No other symptoms but the runny nose(dries up and leaves her with a crusty nose sometimes) and sneezing at odd times. She eats and drinks and eats fresh food! Really alert and wandering about and her eyes are fine.

If the vet has listened to chest and it sounds fine that that is a really good thing, just keep a close eye on her. One of our piggies sneezes now and then after she has got dust from hay up her nose.

I went as soon as I noticed! I’m constantly making sure she’s eating and drinking and as soon as I’m not happy with something she will be going back. Hopefully now she’s moved away from the fleece she might start to calm down.

Mine have a tendency to sneeze if they eat too fast.
You are doing the right thing by keeping an eye on her but it may simply be settling into a new environment or inhaling her food instead of eating slowly.
A vet would rather see an over anxious owner and reassure them than a piggy which has been left until it’s too late so your plan to go back if you’re still worried is good.

Please can we see pictures of your girls

Update: after a week of still sneezing and a crusty runny nose I saw a vet a second time. (First time it was a vet assistant who came out of a surgery to quickly check and told me it could be allergies..) the vet I saw today was extremely helpful and Luna now has meds for a week and we shall go from there.

Back