• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Severely Matted Long-haired Piggie!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoiNoi

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello all, hope you're having a lovely day!

To the point! Today I adopted Ozzy, a 2 and a half year old Piggie from a work associate who, putting it nicely, didn't much care for him after his first owner passed away.

I said I would look after the little fella, having owned piggies (short haired) before. So, she brings him in... rather poor conditions, admitably. I get the cage sorted out, veg, food, hay, shelter, water, and buy a grooming kit for him as he's the first long-haired piggie I've owned.

She said: "His bum is slightly matted."

That's fine, I thought! I'll let him settle in for a few days, he's quite shy, so I'll leave his coat for now.

Only when I saw his coat, I physically couldn't. His back fur was matted SOLID. It was like needle-felt, if anyone knows what that is. All totted and knotted into hard lumps. I couldn't leave him be, so, bless him, I got to work giving him a long over-due hair cut and brush! I got most of the lumps out, until I realised that the fur was matted so close to the skin, I couldn't safely cut it.

He was a good boy, he sat still for the sides, most of the back and even the face. I tried combing out the matts on his bum as I can't cut them, but this was clearly causing him pain and I don't want that on his first day.

But something will have to be done about his fur eventually. Does anyone have any tips for this? The fur is matted so close to the skin, I can't even use my hand or the comb as a 'shield' between him and the scissors. :(

The only thing I can think of is to ring the vet nurse. She might be able to do it if you explain the situation, say your frighted of cutting him, she'll probably cut his nails too if you want her to.

I would speak to a vet and see what they say. They may well be able to use a pair of clippers to get the mats out. Just like grooming a severely matted dog. If you are not comfortable doing it yourself with scissors then clippers and a shave are the only thing I can think of to get them out safely without any pain.

If you try bathing would that soften the mat? Make it gentler to cut? Not sure if that's correct just my train of thought lol

Well done for giving him a new life and haircut, it must've felt lovely to have it all removed!

I would take him to the vet and request that he is shaved. Poor piggie. Thank goodness that he is with you now.

Hi, well done for taking this piggy in. The only way to deal with a matted coat like this is to have it carefully cut or clipped off. This needs to be done as a matter of urgency as there may be sores, ulcers and infection of the skin beneath (and risk of flystrike in warmer weather). Your local vet is the place to go, he may even need sedating to have it done

Hello all, hope you're having a lovely day!

To the point! Today I adopted Ozzy, a 2 and a half year old Piggie from a work associate who, putting it nicely, didn't much care for him after his first owner passed away.

I said I would look after the little fella, having owned piggies (short haired) before. So, she brings him in... rather poor conditions, admitably. I get the cage sorted out, veg, food, hay, shelter, water, and buy a grooming kit for him as he's the first long-haired piggie I've owned.

She said: "His bum is slightly matted."

That's fine, I thought! I'll let him settle in for a few days, he's quite shy, so I'll leave his coat for now.

Only when I saw his coat, I physically couldn't. His back fur was matted SOLID. It was like needle-felt, if anyone knows what that is. All totted and knotted into hard lumps. I couldn't leave him be, so, bless him, I got to work giving him a long over-due hair cut and brush! I got most of the lumps out, until I realised that the fur was matted so close to the skin, I couldn't safely cut it.

He was a good boy, he sat still for the sides, most of the back and even the face. I tried combing out the matts on his bum as I can't cut them, but this was clearly causing him pain and I don't want that on his first day.

But something will have to be done about his fur eventually. Does anyone have any tips for this? The fur is matted so close to the skin, I can't even use my hand or the comb as a 'shield' between him and the scissors. :(
Maybe shave the area if it's so bad? It may look silly for a while but it,ll grow back x

Thanks for your reply, everyone! I've been gently going at it with some water and tiiiiiny baby scissors, and he's doing better on his rump!

However, I've noticed as I hold him, he's... quite boney? I've always had quite plump piggies, but I can feel his ribs and he feels tiny in my hands. He does come out now and then, he eats quite little and drinks now and again, but he's rejecting brocoli and a little slice of pepper (apparently his favourite food.)

Do you think it's just the old boy being unable to settle, or maybe a trip to the vet is needed for this?

I know that when I first got my lovely girls home (from a rescue where they had plenty of food and water) they took a few days to settle and start eating properly.

Corriander and cucumber seemed to be very tempting for them.

Thanks for your reply, everyone! I've been gently going at it with some water and tiiiiiny baby scissors, and he's doing better on his rump!

However, I've noticed as I hold him, he's... quite boney? I've always had quite plump piggies, but I can feel his ribs and he feels tiny in my hands. He does come out now and then, he eats quite little and drinks now and again, but he's rejecting brocoli and a little slice of pepper (apparently his favourite food.)

Do you think it's just the old boy being unable to settle, or maybe a trip to the vet is needed for this?
I would definitely get him checked out if he has not improved. Weigh him regularly to monitor. Poor little lad

What a lovely person you are taking him in. Sounds like he's been through a tough time. As recommended, I'd take him to the vet for a good check over including teeth.

Another thing which will provide vitamins, and hopefully encourage his appetite is 'Metatone' it's a tonic which I have used on piggies (and myself) when recovering from illness or a tough time. Maybe worth considering? Metatone Original Flavour Tonic - 500ml - Boots

In addition and I appreciate you have only just taken him on, it maybe worth trying to find him a friend once he is checked over by a vet? That will probably perk him up no end.

Keep us posted on how he is doing? X

Aw poor piggy, but well done to you for taking him in and for working on restoring his health. I agree a vet visit would be prudent, along with the weight monitoring.

Thank you all for your kind advice! Unfortunately, when I picked him up for cuddles the next day, I noticed something terrible. I could feel literally every bone in his poor little body. Little fella clearly hadn't been eating for a long time, and while we took him to the vets and syringe fed him, he didn't make it through. :( We do however, have two females that will be moving in with us soon, so I'm sure I'll be active here yet!

Aw poor little guy. You tried for him, and I'm really sorry he didn't make it.
:hug:

I'm so sorry, it was hard enough when you took the little fella in, but to lose him when you've worked so hard too keep him alive.
It's a cruel world.
I think I agree with Val neglect like this has to be reported.

Hi NoiNoi

So sorry about your little boy. It's heartbreaking.:soz::(
At least he received lots of TLC from you in his final few days. Good for him.
You did a great job for looking after him. You have my respect.
Rest in peace little boy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back