• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Short Hair Guinea Pig, Not eating with puff up hairs? Help?

RiverSnow31

New Born Pup
Reaction score
This morning I went out to my guinea pigs to feed them and usually when they hear me coming they come to the front of the cage.
This time only one came up to the cage and I found the other guinea pig in his tiny house. His fur was all puffed up and his eyes were barely open, I tried to give him food but he wouldn't eat.
I brought him to the vet a week ago and all the doctor said was that he was underweight and nothing else?
Anyone knows why?

**Also lately they have been having diarrhea does this have anything to do with it?***

You need to get him to a vet who knows more about guinea pigs. If he is puffed up and not eating then he is in pain from something. Are they both having diarrhea? That is concerning too and needs a vet to address it.

I absolutely agree. He needs to see a cavy savvy vet as those are worrying symptoms. If you add your location to your profile, somebody may be able to advise on a good vet near you.

He definitely needs to see a vet more knowledgeable about guinea pigs. Underweght and puffed up piggies means there is something seriously wrong.

Agree with what has said above. As they are having diarrhoea you should stop veggies until 24 hours after poo's have returned to normal. Please step in with syringe feeding mushed up pellets to keep him going and get him to a knowledgeable vet asap

He needs to see a vet as a matter of emergency, all the symptoms he has indicates something is seriously wrong.

Back