• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Should I separate them at night?

GeorgiaHarris

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Today I have introduced my two boars (one is 4 months old and the other is 4 years old). They seem to be okay and my younger piggie seems to be the more dominant one and my older piggie doesn’t really care that much. They’ve been together for about 5 and a half hours and I haven’t had any serious problems the younger piggie is just purring a bit and popcorning every once in a while. Should I leave them together over night or should I separate them? Also if I separate them will they start from scratch again?

Hi and Welcome to the forum!

If you separate they will need to start all over again. If you haven't noticed any serious problems, I would stick with it and leave them together. Here are the Bonding Guides for you. They have been written by @Wiebke who has many years experience with bonding piggies and is the Forum bonding expert.

Bonding: Illustrated Dominance Behaviours And Dynamics
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs
Great, thankyou. Just worried about any serious fights happening when I’m asleep.

Welcome and I enjoy reading his thread. Glad you are careful about their behavior and their well-being.
Would you continue to post on their progress? I am curious as to how they get along in the end.

I have a girl and a boy living in separate cages. I recently got a girl from a friend who didn’t want her. I would have liked two boys but I didn’t have such luck.

Welcome and I enjoy reading his thread. Glad you are careful about their behavior and their well-being.
Would you continue to post on their progress? I am curious as to how they get along in the end.

I have a girl and a boy living in separate cages. I recently got a girl from a friend who didn’t want her. I would have liked two boys but I didn’t have such luck.
Yes definitely will keep you updated, I get curious myself and read other people’s stories and experiences with their piggies. :)

Update on the piggies: both boys are getting along great. My younger piggie was a bit territorial of all the hideous and beds at first but they’ve settled down now and are even snuggling up to each other. 89B0F906-8C7B-4074-97A5-227DBA46D068.jpeg3B15F73E-26E9-4569-BE2C-EB09F319195D.jpeg

They are so adorable. Glad to see they are getting along.

Back