• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Squeaky Pig, But Not The Good Squeaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

amyhr95

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My guinea pig Smudge appears to be making some odd squeaks lately. It started two weeks ago and I initially thought it may be early signs of an upper respiratory infection, therefore took him to the vets to get checked. They checked everything; heart, lungs, teeth, poops, and felt for any lumps and bumps - no signs of anything wrong. He was a little underweight at 875kg so put him on baytrill twice daily for a week (course finished 11.01.17) He appeared to pick up slightly, however I have noticed these squeaks again that seem more significant than previously. I weighed him on 15.01.17 and he was 860kg, I then weighed him today (20.01.17) and he is 830kg, which i am aware is a dramatic loss.
He is eating, moving around, drinking and pooping fine, but clearly something isn't right. Tonight I filmed him whilst he was eating a bit of lettuce and wondered if anybody could help - does anyone else recognise this particular squeak?
(I've set the video to private, but you should be able to view it using the above link)

Hi! I am very sorry, but I cannot see your video. Any private link won't work in a public space like this forum.

Do you see Simon Maddock at the Cat & Rabbit clinic? He's in Duston, i suggest you take your piggy to see him if you don't already, he is brilliant :)

Do you see Simon Maddock at the Cat & Rabbit clinic? He's in Duston, i suggest you take your piggy to see him if you don't already, he is brilliant :)
Hi - I used to go there a very long time ago but haven't been in a while - I usually go to Vets4Pets in St James. Thanks for the recommendation - I'll have a look!

My piggy was squeaking like this for a couple of days and then I noticed a little bit of blood in his urine, took him to the vet and now he's on baytril for a UTI. Maybe Smudge had one and the baytril helped, but now it's returned? Definitely seek another vet's opinion as suggested above!

Hope poor Smudge gets better soon!

My guinea pig Smudge appears to be making some odd squeaks lately. It started two weeks ago and I initially thought it may be early signs of an upper respiratory infection, therefore took him to the vets to get checked. They checked everything; heart, lungs, teeth, poops, and felt for any lumps and bumps - no signs of anything wrong. He was a little underweight at 875kg so put him on baytrill twice daily for a week (course finished 11.01.17) He appeared to pick up slightly, however I have noticed these squeaks again that seem more significant than previously. I weighed him on 15.01.17 and he was 860kg, I then weighed him today (20.01.17) and he is 830kg, which i am aware is a dramatic loss.
He is eating, moving around, drinking and pooping fine, but clearly something isn't right. Tonight I filmed him whilst he was eating a bit of lettuce and wondered if anybody could help - does anyone else recognise this particular squeak?
(I've set the video to private, but you should be able to view it using the above link)
Bless him, it sounds as though he's in pain.Is he on any painkillers for the time being? I second taking him to Simon maddock, he is brilliant x

I agree, Simon's a brilliant vet!
For rabbits, guineas and chinchillas!

Hope you and Smudge are ok and he gets sorted very soon x

thank you - he isn't on any painkillers at the moment and tonight he sounds much more normal- no squeaking - but i have booked him into see Simon on Tuesday - its the earliest time i could get but will hopefully resolve the problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back