• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Squealing and not eating

AndreaC

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi PLEASE HELP, I have been having trouble trying to decipher what is wrong with my guinea pig. He is only 5 years old and has never had a problem before. This morning I woke up and went to feed him and noticed he was squealing a little too much and they didn’t sound like his normal squeals is almost sounds like he’s in pain. He usually grabs the tomato with his teeth and then eats it but this time he grabbed it and nibbled a little bit and that’s it. He always finishes eating his veggies. And now he won’t eat anything and has been squealing a lot within only an hour. He’s not visibly injured and he is walking perfectly fine but he has been repeatedly going into his little house and not coming out for awhile.

Hi PLEASE HELP, I have been having trouble trying to decipher what is wrong with my guinea pig. He is only 5 years old and has never had a problem before. This morning I woke up and went to feed him and noticed he was squealing a little too much and they didn’t sound like his normal squeals is almost sounds like he’s in pain. He usually grabs the tomato with his teeth and then eats it but this time he grabbed it and nibbled a little bit and that’s it. He always finishes eating his veggies. And now he won’t eat anything and has been squealing a lot within only an hour. He’s not visibly injured and he is walking perfectly fine but he has been repeatedly going into his little house and not coming out for awhile.

Hi and welcome!

Please have him vet checked as soon as possible, if you can as an out of hours emergency.
It is not 'like he is in pain'; your boy is in serious pain! Piggies are prey animals, so when pain is getting too much for them to suppress, it is no longer a matter of wait and see. We humans would have started screaming a lot sooner.

Here is our emergency, crisis and bridging care information collection, including a list of what constitutes an emergency and how to find an out-of-hours vet, as well as syringe feeding tips if he stops eating: Emergency, Crisis and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment

Thank you so much! I will make that vet appointment today, and will begin feeding him with a syringe and keep on closely monitoring him.
Your piggy needs to be taken to a vet for diagnosis and treatment

Please step in with syringe feeding while he is not eating. It’s important that you weigh your piggy daily to ensure you are syringe feeding him enough while he is not eating for himself.

Emergency, Crisis and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment
Not Eating, Weight Loss And The Importance Of Syringe Feeding Fibre
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

Thank you so much! I will make that vet appointment today, and will begin feeding him with a syringe and keep on closely monitoring him.

Please do make the appointment - as wiebke said your piggy is in pain and needs to be seen immediately. Let us know how you get on. I hope he is ok

If he gets any worse during the night, please rush him to the vets at any time in order to save his life.

If he gets any worse during the night, please rush him to the vets at any time in order to save his life.
Yes I will do that, I had to make an appointment instead of taking him immediately because my vet/hospital Is on shifty hours of operation because of Covid right now but the appointment is for tomorrow.

Back