• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Storing Food In The Fridge!

Lil3piggies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I’ve been watching Skinnypigs1’s YouTube videos and she uses fridgesmart Tupperware and says it keeps her veg so fresh even once chopped!
I’ve had a look online and can’t find any in the uk and the ones I find for US are really expensive!
Does anyone have any good containers to recommend for keeping veg fresh in the fridge even when cut up? It’d make things so much easier for me as I work long hours so faffing about each morning and evening is getting a pain haha.

Thanks guys!

*little update- after my little Archie passing Artie still seems to be doing well.. still worried he’s lonely though so maybe a new friend/s is something to think about soon*

there are several boxes similar to the ones you have seen and that are cheaper. They are made of glass or plastic, they have a top and sometimes they have the possibility to remove the inner air outside. I can't understand why you should spend so many money for Tupperware when there are good boxes which cost much less. You can find them into supermarkets, shops, etc. :)
I have a lot of them and they work. But consider that a chopped veg loses part of the vit C (which vanishes also when the veg is intact).

I have been using this below for more than 20 years! and it is still perfect. it is in glass and has a plastic top. But I have also cheaper plastic boxes which work as well...

as you are based in USA, I would suggest you these items:

or these ones: (but the plastic after many years can sometimes deform and then the top stops closing... glass is aeternal, unless it falls down on the floor:D)

the one below is the one I have at home:
l-8001133351702.jpg

-------------
Glass Food Storage Container Set - 840 ml - Transparent Lids - BPA Free - FDA Approved - Reusable - Multipurpose Use for Home Kitchen or Restaurant - (3 Piece) - by Utopia Kitchen
$11.99

71bymlewBTL._SL1500_.jpg
---------------------------------
AmazonBasics Bento Lunch Box Containers - Set of 4
$9.99
712aWsgDVBL._SL1336_.jpg

I use a glass storage container. I spin my lettuce to remove any excess water and line the container with paper towel, add the lettuce and cover with another layer of doubled up paper towel before putting the lid back on and change the top towels if they get too damp. I find the lettuce will last 4-5 days before starting to wilt a little but it will still be fresh to eat for up to 6 days. If I spin it first it doesn't seem to get slimey either. Also strangely at the supermarket if you choose the bags of lettuce (if you are buying a bag of mixed lettuce) further to the back of the fridge the leaves seem to be dryer somehow and last longer and don't have slimey bits in them already.

Back