• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Strange Noise - Possibly Wheezing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

amzybabes

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My guinea pig has suddenly (today) started making a strange noise that I haven't heard before. It's somewhere between a wheezing/rattling/grinding noise.

I went to give her some fresh hay this morning. She appeared to be eating something and I heard a noise that sounded like she was crunching the end of a guinea pellet, so presumed this was what it was. However, this evening, I again heard the noise. This time she didn't appear to be eating anything - we checked teeth etc. The noise was intimitent - roughly every few seconds, but sometimes nothing for longer or more frequently. It's hard to describe the noise, but now don't think its teeth grinding/ eating. Could possibly be breathing, but she didn't seem to be having trouble breathing or to be in any distress (apart from not being amused to be dragged out of her cage at bedtime to be checked over by us!). It's kind of a slightly raspy wheeze/squeak I guess.

Apart from this, she seems fine. Still eating happily, no weight loss, eyes look bright, fine in herself etc. I actually took her to the vets just last week on an unrelated matter, and she was pronounced healthy. I will be checking tomorrow if the noise is still there. Reading online, it seems it could be a piece of hay or something stuck in her nose/airway, an allergy, or an URI (although I currently see no other sigh on the last). Any suggestions? Has anyone had anything similar?

Having done some further searching on the forums. I came across this link. There is a video in the post that sounds almost exactly like the noise she is making! Clicking Noise

It does sound like something up her nose but I would get her checked again if it continues. Was it a new batch of hay?

It does sound like something up her nose but I would get her checked again if it continues. Was it a new batch of hay?
No, same hay and bedding etc. The only new thing introduced recently is a fleece cosy but can't believe that would trigger anything?!

I wouldn't have thought so no unless it was what it was washed in? Is she still making the noise? anything like scented candles or air fesheners nearby?

I wouldn't have thought so no unless it was what it was washed in? Is she still making the noise? anything like scented candles or air fesheners nearby?
No, nothing like that. She is in a shed outdoors (unfortunately as we are in process of moving house and all currently bunking with the inlaws!) but has been used to being out since Summer and has a heated pad and blankets overnight. Luckily it's not too cold at the morning moment. I think I am extra worried as much prefer her being indoors but it's impossible at the moment. :-(

It may be the hay if it was slightly stronger or dustier than usual but if she carries on I would get her checked for a URI even just to put your mind at rest. Keep an eye out for any laboured breathing or nodding as she breathes.

Do's she zoom around the place ? perhaps she has banged her nose and it is causing intrmitant breathing

look in her ear's, an infection can sometimes csuse brething problems in humans , don't know about pigs but it wount harm to cheq it out.

My Winnie has just had something sounding very similar and has stopped after a week on septrin and loxicom. She's had it before and I know how worrying it can be. Sneezes didn't seem to clear her nose though.

Thanks for the responses. This morning she was still making the noise. It seemed like it was coming from her nose as semmed worse when eating (and therefore mouth busy with other things than breathing!). Was able to get her into the vets this morning, he listened to her breathing with stethoscope and thought it sounds a bit laboured/could hear she had a respiratory infection. We've started her on antibiotics and hopefully she'll be ok, as she seemed otherwise in good health. Fingers crossed!

What antibiotics have you been given? Have they given you probiotics too?

What antibiotics have you been given? Have they given you probiotics too?
Baytril, 0.2ml twice a day for 5 days. Nothing else was given. She's still quite sniffly/making the wheezing noise but still ok in herself so just hoping we start to see an improvement soon!

If she is on Baytril I would give probiotics at least an hour after each dose to help her stomach. Pets at Home sell one called Pro C which is the easiest to get hold of.

If she is on Baytril I would give probiotics at least an hour after each dose to help her stomach. Pets at Home sell one called Pro C which is the easiest to get hold of.
Thank you that's really helpful. After your question I did done online research and now see a probiotic may be helpful. I'll pick one up tomorrow. Luckily she seems to have normal appetite at the moment still.

Just an update - not seeing an improvement after 3 and a bit days of Baytril. She is still fine in herself but making the sniffling/wheezy noise still. Back to the vets this afternoon to see if she needs a higher dose or different AB to kick the URI.

Has your vet considered Bisolvon? if she has mucous in her nasal passages it would help to clear it. Also you can use a steam inhaler with 2 drops of Olbas oil which can help? I would ask the vet to check for fluid too, as that can also make them wheeze, if so she would need a diuretic.

Back from the vets. She sounds worse when breathing (more crackly) but actually her chest is now clear, so vet thinks it's mucus in nasal passage and has given me bisolvon and suggested olbas oil steaming, so sounds pretty much inline with your suggestions! She has actually put on a couple of pounds and he was happy with her general health. I'm also to continue Baytril for another 4 days. Hope this will be enough to kick it and the symptoms.

That's brilliant, Bisolvon is great and the steam inhalation can really help. You can either use an inhaler with 2 drops in it and hold over the nose in 5 second bursts or put it in a bowl next to the cage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back