• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Suspected mouse (hopefully not rat!) problem in apartment-- effect on piggies?

Guptheguineapig

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So, over the last few days I have begun the journey of trying to (wild) rodent proof my third floor apartment. I found a hole in the wall by the cage which was thankfully plugged immediately with steel wool. I have also continued to keep all foods human and pigs in air tight bags or containers.
All seemed okay......and then:
After coming home from grocery shopping today I found a trail of blood and small puddle of blood in the bait spot on the trap. As grossed out as I was, all I could think about is the pigs and that if ANYTHING happens to my pets because this apartment complex has a mouse problem I am going to spazz out. I have already considered breaking my 12 month lease (with 11 months left of my second year) just so that I didn't have to deal with this crud.
Has anyone ever had a rodent problem in their house with they pigs?
How likely is it that they will come anywhere near my pigs?
Does anyone have advice on what I can do besides set up traps everywhere?

I don't think a mouse would hurt your piggies in terms of fighting or biting, I think it would purely be any diseases or bacteria the little guests carry.

My bunny lives outside in a hutch and during winter he normally has a mouse join him and it sleeps under the newspaper. No harm came to him (though the mouse ended up flattened 😂 Bigwig sat on him!). I'd just place any traps etc by the cage if you're worried, maybe call out pest control?

Back