• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Suspicious Lump Removed - Benign Tumor

Kallasia

Forum Donator 2017/18
Reaction score
Hi All,

So I've been a bit quiet lately, feeling stressed about the boys' health. Binky with his dodgy lungs and Errol with his moods.
Initially I thought Errol's moods were to do with hormones. It was strange because he was rumble strutting all the time and taking swipes at Binky.
It was so out of character because they normally get on so well.

Anyway, about a month ago now, a week after this moodiness started, I noticed a small, firm lump on Errol's back left hip. It felt like it was the size of a pea.
I booked him in at the vets straight away, citing concerns over a suspicious lump. There was no discharge or reddening.

We saw the vet the next day who attempted to drain it, figuring it would be a cyst. Errol was not happy with this at all, understandably.
The vet couldn't get any fluid and so recommended I watch for a week to see if it grows or changes in any way.

A week later I arrange another appointment as the lump appears to be growing. I'm also beginning to wonder if it's causing distress and is connected to these mood swings.
The vet agrees that it's bigger, now about the size of a marble. She tries draining one more time and confirms it isn't a cyst. We book Errol in for surgery at the next available time.

Two weeks later, Friday 27th April, Errol goes in for surgery. Once under anesthetic, he's shaved, has the lump removed and then has stitches. Binky has been with me at home all afternoon. He's been crying for Errol and very confused as they're never apart. I've kept him company and tried to keep him distracted with toys and food.

About 5 hours later I am allowed to collect him. I'm told to monitor him closely, particularly his eating.

errol.jpg IMG_20180427_174716-01.jpeg
(Errol with his Get Well Soon card from me and Binky. It's from Greeting cards, stickers & treats for guinea pigs by PopcorningPiggy)

He spent all evening being very groggy, still recovering from the anesthetic. He spent most of the time sleeping or changing position. He did, however, manage to munch on some hay and basil. At one point he fell asleep halfway through a basil leaf so I had to take it out of his mouth!

From the very next day we saw a massive improvement. He's eating like a horse, charging round the pen and playing with all the new toys. He cuddles up to Binky whenever he wants a nap and doesn't argue even when Binky bumps into him or pinches his food.

Errol hasn't picked the stitches at all and it has been healing nicely over the past week. He's even been happy to take the pain relief, running over to me when he sees the syringe come out and just drinking from it in the pen!

Today I got the call from the vet that I have been waiting for since the operation - the test results were in.

Tumor. Clear margins, all cells removed. Benign. Not cancerous.

I am so, so happy! :luv:

The vet did say that Errol could be prone to tumors so we will have to be "en garde" but this one won't be coming back and hasn't done any lasting damage.

My beautiful boy can go back to being the mischievous and fun-loving pig he was before any of this happened! :))

Last edited:

Merab's Slave

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
So glad to hear good news.
What a time you've had of it.
Hopefully you can relax now.
Keziah, who is a member of the Pigs Less Striped group is very happy that Errol is better.

Betsy

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Dennis is happy to that Errol his main man for pigs less striped is better and back to his normal self again. :D

Flutterby

Anniversary Herd
Reaction score
Fantastic that it was good news and glad he's back to his normal self now! :D

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome back!

So glad that Errol has made it through ans has a good recovery!

VickiA

Staff member
Reaction score
Such a relief for you and the boys. Let’s hope you have a good run of time away from the vets. Keep on being gorgeous, boys.