• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Teaching My Piggies To Eat Vegetables

Hannah Nicole

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have 2 male guinea pigs. They are 5 weeks old. I've tried to feed them them veggies but they just don't get the point they normally just sit on it. I want to teach them to eat the veggies but I have no idea how to at this point

I have 2 male guinea pigs. They are 5 weeks old. I've tried to feed them them veggies but they just don't get the point they normally just sit on it. I want to teach them to eat the veggies but I have no idea how to at this point
Just try small pieces of veg daily. They should become more confident once they’ve seen it a few times and try a nibble or two. A little bit of red pepper or Romaine lettuce,or a small piece of celery would be a good start. Just very small quantities to start with!
Check out the Guinea pig guides found on the Menu section for more advice.

Just try small pieces of veg daily. They should become more confident once they’ve seen it a few times and try a nibble or two. A little bit of red pepper or Romaine lettuce,or a small piece of celery would be a good start. Just very small quantities to start with!
Check out the Guinea pig guides found on the Menu section for more advice.
I've been giving them small amounts of lettuce for 5 days now and they only sleep on it

I've been giving them small amounts of lettuce for 5 days now and they only sleep on it
Keep trying with other veg!
Tiny piece of carrot to see if they like that.
Cucumber is usually loved by all!
Do they have/ drink from their water bottles? If they do, rub cucumber onto the tip of the bottle, if they then drink from it they will get used to the taste and smell of the cucumber and will then realise the pieces of cucumber next to them are for eating too!
Don’t get too worried about veg at their young age - as long as they eat plenty of hay as that should be 80% of their diet and should always be available!
Good luck trying different veg! You may eventually discover one piggy likes cucumber best while the other prefers red pepper!

I remember going through this with mine, you'd think I was trying to poison them the way they reacted to peppers!
I cut everything up really small and kept giving it everyday (then throwing it out again).
Eventually they started sniffing it, then nibbling, then scoffing it like it was the best thing ever.
Keep going, they will eventually discover that you are bringing them nice stuff lol

I remember going through this with mine, you'd think I was trying to poison them the way they reacted to peppers!
I cut everything up really small and kept giving it everyday (then throwing it out again).
Eventually they started sniffing it, then nibbling, then scoffing it like it was the best thing ever.
Keep going, they will eventually discover that you are bringing them nice stuff lol
Thanks I definitely will keep trying

Back