• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Dental Teeth Trimming - Clipping Or Burring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stewybus

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm looking for comments from people who have guinea pigs who need their incisors (front teeth) trimming.

Their seems to be 2 methods. Either Clipping with clippers, scissors etc or burring with drill & cutting wheel. It seems that one method, clipping is done by the non professionals, usually awake & the other method, burring is done by vets sometimes awake, sometimes anaesthetized. Our vet does the latter method as soon in this video I originally posted last week :-

I would your thoughts on this especially if your piggy has been treated by either method. Thanks for reading :) xx

I was trained to do the teeth clipping using bone ronguers by the CCT, but since have found out that this can damage the teeth and cause microscopic cracks, leading to possible death of the tooth root and/ or infection. I would use the dental equipment every time as it gives a cleaner cut.

Oreo currently has regular dental sat the Cat and Rabbit Clinic. I believe they use a burr as clipping has cause damage to the tooth root as pig in the city has said. Oreo has conscious dental work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back