• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Think I may have to split my piggies up.

I hadn't thought of that. Thanks for pointing it out. If I decide this is the best way forward they would all be sharing the same hutch just with the ramp taken out that is until we move in the (Hopefully) not too distant future. Then it'll be another headache as to where to put Dennis and any potential new wifelet as the piggies will be living in a garage with free access to play pen.

If Dennis and any new wife are happily bonded, they will simply ignore each other politely in the future even if they live next to each other. ;)
All my piggies are very much aware of each other. They live as a colony with sub-groups, the way their wild ancestors still do. Any new arrival causes quite a stir and a failed bonding can reverberate through the room (in fact that was what in the end caused the non-fighting parting of ways between Dylan and by now teenage Llelo). They also always know when one of them has died... The boars have a hierarchy between them through the bars. But generally interactive problems only happen where underlying stresses and rifts are already in existence and likely to be triggered sooner or later anyway in my own experience. You just have to work around them and try your best to figure out things.

I think I'm going to leave it another couple of days to see really where all my piggies are at. If Dennis keeps removing himself from the others then he is telling me he no longer wants to live with Christian. When they are out in the run together they are all fine. It's just when they go back in the hutch. Dennis and Christian were eating and playing together in the run yesterday. I don't want to make any rash decisions.
Keep an eye @Betsy . You will have read in a couple of my posts that Groucho keeps himself to himself in my trio, but he definitely doesn't want to be removed from the group - he wheeks for the others, and they for him, if he's separated. Might be worth a few hours trial and see how it goes?

Keep an eye @Betsy . You will have read in a couple of my posts that Groucho keeps himself to himself in my trio, but he definitely doesn't want to be removed from the group - he wheeks for the others, and they for him, if he's separated. Might be worth a few hours trial and see how it goes?
I'll try later in the week and I'll put Betsy with him. Can't do it until Thursday as I'm busy tomorrow and off to see @Merab's Slave on Wednesday and I'll attempt to give Priscilla The Ironing Board Salon Treatment.

Aw, really sympathise with you. It’s a difficult one. I would go with Dennis and Betsy together. Are they a similar age? Just thinking if Betsy was a lot older, then you may a sometime have to find Dennis a new lady after all? Gosh really difficult!

I would go with Dennis and Betsy together. Are they a similar age? Just thinking if Betsy was a lot older, then you may a sometime have to find Dennis a new lady after all? Gosh really difficult!
They are similar ages. Betsy was 3 end of Jan beginning of Feb and Dennis is 3 on 5th May.

Aw, really sympathise with you. It’s a difficult one. I would go with Dennis and Betsy together. Are they a similar age? Just thinking if Betsy was a lot older, then you may a sometime have to find Dennis a new lady after all? Gosh really difficult!
Is Betsy not Dennis's mum?

Aw no! I’m liking the trial separation idea hope u get it sorted. :)

They are similar ages. Betsy was 3 end of Jan beginning of Feb and Dennis is 3 on 5th May.
Aw, that’s perfect then age wise and if they like each other then the bond will just get stronger x

Tough one.
We’ll chat on Wednesday.
Maybe just talking through possibilities will help

That's what I'm hoping! Here they are all snuggled up and lovey dovey :love::love:View attachment 110494View attachment 110495
Aw I dont think you could split these two up! Its so tricky isnt it, we wondered if we could split our herd to find a friend for Tallulah, but its like a mad logic puzzle: Clover hates Tallulah, Tallulah likes Blodwen and Puggle, but Blodwen loves Clover, Theo loves Puggle and Blodwen and Piggle, Jezzy floof is fairly aloof and likes hoomans and dinner best but isnt keen on youngsters who run about, and Tallulah isnt keen on floofy fur...
Hope you find a solution!

Having just witnessed Christian nipping Dennis from behind when Dennis wasn't looking and also Dennis trying to get out of the space that Christian occupies as soon as he possibly can (and he has been doing for the last couple of weeks) I have come to the reluctant conclusion that I am just going to have to bite the bullet and split up my herd.😢. So from now on it's going to be Dennis and Betsy in one little herd and Christian, Velvet and Meg in the another little herd. Christian has made it quite obvious that he doesn't want to hang around with Dennis anymore. I know I have been lucky in the fact that 2 boys have got along sharing 3 girls for two and a half years.

Thanks for all your help everyone it has been very much appreciated xx

It must’ve been a very tough decision, but it’s for the best x

It’s a tough decision but I think you have made the right one x Hope it all bones to plan x

Thanks. It was a very tough decision especially as soon as I had divided the hutch and put Dennis in, I saw Betsy licking Velvet's eyes those two have had a really strong bond from day one and I feel awful having to split them up. Dennis already seems happier without being on constant alert for Christian.

Sounds like the boys definitely needed their own separate space. Hope things settle down now you’ve split the herd.

I cried the night I had to split Eddi and Lucy - they were brother and sister, and just adored each other.
I felt awful and was convinced they would never get over it, but I put Oreo with Eddi becasue Lucy was the only one that Ruby ever really tolerated.

And in the end Eddi and Oreo had the most amazing relationship I have ever witnessed in 2 guinea pigs.
They became truly inseparable and were always together.

Eddi also always loved Lucy and they would interact through the bars which was nice, but in hindsight Eddi and Oreo living as a pair allowed their relationship to blossom.
It's a shame the same can't be said for Ruby and Lucy.....

Back