• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Time To Permanently Separate My Boars?

rileywhispers

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello! I made this account because I would really appreciate help with my current piggie situation.

I'm a new owner, and I have three boys, named Zuko, Porthos, and Deku. They're all in their hormonal stage (4/5 months), and right now Zuko and Porthos are fighting for dominance. Well, more like Zuko is the dominant one and Porthos is forever bitter about it.

For a little information, we have a c&c cage, three hides, two food areas, two water bottles, and a full 2x2 loft, so I think they have enough room. Even so, I'm going to be working on expanding it here soon if I don't have to separate them. If separation is necessary, I'm probably going to get another cage entirely and get a fourth piggie so Porthos can have a friend.

Zuko doesn't seem to be bullying Porthos in any way. He doesn't keep him from food, hides, water, etc., he just responds when Porthos challenges him in ways like rumble strutting and yawning. He's pretty content to be in the same space with him so long as he knows his place.

Today I had to separate them when I heard a spat and checked on Porthos to see that he had a bloody nose. They don't fight really hard, and it's usually a reactionary thing. This is the first time I've seen blood drawn, and I didn't have to physically pull them apart. They were sitting on the opposite sides of their cage. They've never had an extremely dangerous interaction, is what I'm trying to get at. I'd prefer it not get to that point, though.

So I have Porthos in a separate cage right now, and I plan on reintroducing them, but will it even be worth it at this point? Is their relationship salvageable? I know now after reading a bit that trio's have a low chance of success, but Deku isn't bothered at all and Zuko genuinely doesn't seem like he...wants Porthos dead, without mincing words. And Porthos, for all his attitude, knows when to back off.

I guess my overarching question is: what now? Where do I go from here? Do I try reintroducing them first to see if it's a success, or do I go ahead and make plan to keep Zuko separate from Porthos?

Also for the record, Porthos is not happy in his temporary home, hasn't perked up at all. Very shy. and the other boys are being very silent (which could be good if it means no one is fighting? Idk). I'm not sure if they're happy with this arrangement.

Adding More Guinea Pigs Or Merging Pairs – What Works And What Not?

I encourage you read that sticky thread- very informative on what bonds work and what don't. I'm afraid it's very unlikely that these 3 boys will remain bonded, either there will be a fight or you'll find one of the pigs becomes an outcast of sorts. If I was you I would keep two bonded and get the other another boar friend (or neuter and get a sow). Sometimes they can work but in this case the boars are usually senior and may have a disabled pig amongst them.

Your three are likely getting into the hormonal months where their testicles descend and they are testing the hierarchy. This is where a squabble is most likely going to occur.

Introducing And Re-introducing Guinea Pigs

I agree it is unlikely to work long term. I have three young boars together, so this is something I think about a lot, and if it was me (not expert), it would depend on the nature of the cut to his nose. Is it from a bite? (in which case I would separate and accept that you need to go to plan B), or is it just a scratch from a badly aimed swipe? (in which case I would hold out a bit longer). My Chicco got a scratch from Groucho a few months back, and they've been ok since - except for Chicco chasing Groucho. Little Dude just doesn't get involved, and is pals with both of them.
Mine bicker and chase and do mini lunges (to be fair, they only chatter very rarely and that's usually at me when the food is taking too long,rather than each other, and I've never seen them yawn at each other), but like yours, they don't seem happy when they're apart, even for a short time, and that is what stops me separating them just yet, although I know that I will probably have to in the not too distant future.

Hello! I made this account because I would really appreciate help with my current piggie situation.

I'm a new owner, and I have three boys, named Zuko, Porthos, and Deku. They're all in their hormonal stage (4/5 months), and right now Zuko and Porthos are fighting for dominance. Well, more like Zuko is the dominant one and Porthos is forever bitter about it.

For a little information, we have a c&c cage, three hides, two food areas, two water bottles, and a full 2x2 loft, so I think they have enough room. Even so, I'm going to be working on expanding it here soon if I don't have to separate them. If separation is necessary, I'm probably going to get another cage entirely and get a fourth piggie so Porthos can have a friend.

Zuko doesn't seem to be bullying Porthos in any way. He doesn't keep him from food, hides, water, etc., he just responds when Porthos challenges him in ways like rumble strutting and yawning. He's pretty content to be in the same space with him so long as he knows his place.

Today I had to separate them when I heard a spat and checked on Porthos to see that he had a bloody nose. They don't fight really hard, and it's usually a reactionary thing. This is the first time I've seen blood drawn, and I didn't have to physically pull them apart. They were sitting on the opposite sides of their cage. They've never had an extremely dangerous interaction, is what I'm trying to get at. I'd prefer it not get to that point, though.

So I have Porthos in a separate cage right now, and I plan on reintroducing them, but will it even be worth it at this point? Is their relationship salvageable? I know now after reading a bit that trio's have a low chance of success, but Deku isn't bothered at all and Zuko genuinely doesn't seem like he...wants Porthos dead, without mincing words. And Porthos, for all his attitude, knows when to back off.

I guess my overarching question is: what now? Where do I go from here? Do I try reintroducing them first to see if it's a success, or do I go ahead and make plan to keep Zuko separate from Porthos?

Also for the record, Porthos is not happy in his temporary home, hasn't perked up at all. Very shy. and the other boys are being very silent (which could be good if it means no one is fighting? Idk). I'm not sure if they're happy with this arrangement.

Hi and welcome

Unfortunately it is still far to common to sell three baby boars. it sounds like it is time to split. See which of the dominant boys your third boy is happier with so you have a good chance of ending up with at least a working pair for the long term.

This very detailed guide will hopefully help you as it talks you through all the possible aspects. It also lists all resources and further options.
Boars: Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?

Can't add to the excellent advice above but just wanted to say welcome :)

Just wanted to say welcome to the forum. Excellent advice already given - just wanted to say hi.

Hi and welcome

Unfortunately it is still far to common to sell three baby boars. it sounds like it is time to split. See which of the dominant boys your third boy is happier with so you have a good chance of ending up with at least a working pair for the long term.

This very detailed guide will hopefully help you as it talks you through all the possible aspects. It also lists all resources and further options.
Boars: Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?
Thank you all for the wonderful input! I've decided to separate them and get Porthos a little friend. Deku and Zuko are really close now and I wouldn't want to rip them apart. So within the week (sooner rather than later) I'm going to be looking for a smaller, hopefully more submissive guinea pig so that Porthos can be the dominant he's always wanted to be LOL I really don't think he's going to take no for an answer on that front.

I hope you can find Porthos a lovely friend! Will you call him Aromos, Athos or d'Artagnan?

Back