• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Tiny Dark Spots In Guinea Pig Fur?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renee_kemp

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have two girls at nearly a year old now, and I've noticed some little blackish spots in their hair lately. I've used a couple different mite and mange treatments but doesn't seem to be making any difference. Could this be lice? or something else?

If this is mites, could someone recommend a good brand that works? (I'm in Australia)

They haven't been scratching or biting more then usual.
Their skin is pink too, so I didn't think it would be the skin from scratching.

Thanks

20160116_144448.jpg

Looks like static lice to me. Mine had these a year or two back and Gorgeous Guineas shampoo Lice n Easy Shampoo 150ml but that's a UK product.
Guinea Lynx :: Fur Mites. Perhaps you have a similar product though?
Being as your piggy is not appearing to be irritated I would think it's most likely static lice out of the two mentioned in the link (though if you watch carefully you can sometimes see them move). They are harmless.

I would keep a close eye on them for any signs of starting to feel irritated, in case they are the other type of lice, as these can be very irritating.

I think Revolution may be a brand that is used in Australia but it is best to get them checked by the vet and they can prescribe the right product at the correct strength. It could also be skin debris from mange mites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back