• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Tired and worried

EllieKatie

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hey! I’m really just after some advice or maybe someone that’s has a similar scenario.
I have two Sows Ava & Posie, Posie is normally dominant (bonded since birth and both a year old) however last Thursday there seemed to be a shift in dominance to Ava, however both guinea pigs now are acting odd (not moving much, will only eat when prompted by me) and they have lost their excitement over food,I have had them checked by a vet on two occasions and they can’t find anything wrong with them, we have started a course of antibiotics just in case theres an infection somewhere but I’m convinced it’s to do with the dominance? I don’t think it’s been fully established therefore leaving them in this limbo state ?! I am physically loosing sleep over this as I am up all night making sure they eat and drink. Any advice would be appreciated !

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey! I’m really just after some advice or maybe someone that’s has a similar scenario.
I have two Sows Ava & Posie, Posie is normally dominant (bonded since birth and both a year old) however last Thursday there seemed to be a shift in dominance to Ava, however both guinea pigs now are acting odd (not moving much, will only eat when prompted by me) and they have lost their excitement over food,I have had them checked by a vet on two occasions and they can’t find anything wrong with them, we have started a course of antibiotics just in case theres an infection somewhere but I’m convinced it’s to do with the dominance? I don’t think it’s been fully established therefore leaving them in this limbo state ?! I am physically loosing sleep over this as I am up all night making sure they eat and drink. Any advice would be appreciated !

Hi and welcome

Have you had your house checked for potential monoxide poisoning? Guinea pigs react much more quicker than humans. The symptoms would fit and so would increased heating after the cold spell in recent weeks. We see about one or two cases every winter.

If several/all piggies exhibit the same symptoms, it is not always infectious; the environmental angle should also be taken into consideration.

It is definitely a health and not a behaviour issue.

EllieKatie

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi and welcome

Have you had your house checked for potential monoxide poisoning? Guinea pigs react much more quicker than humans. The symptoms would fit and so would increased heating after the cold spell in recent weeks. We see about one or two cases every winter.

If several/all piggies exhibit the same symptoms, it is not always infectious; the environmental angle should also be taken into consideration.

It is definitely a health and not a behaviour issue.

Thanks for the reply, I do also have to house rabbits and a hamster and they all seem to be fine , we only had everything checked in November so I would like to hope it’s nothing like that but I will look in to your suggestion, thank you 👍🏼

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, I do also have to house rabbits and a hamster and they all seem to be fine , we only had everything checked in November so I would like to hope it’s nothing like that but I will look in to your suggestion, thank you 👍🏼

Has your vet considered checking your girls for a potential transmittable rabbit disease that can be asymptomatic in rabbits? (Bordetella, pasteurella, e. cuniculi etc.)
Just making sure of potential angles since the symptoms are so vague.

EllieKatie

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Has your vet considered checking your girls for a potential transmittable rabbit disease that can be asymptomatic in rabbits? (Bordetella, pasteurella, e. cuniculi etc.)
Just making sure of potential angles since the symptoms are so vague.
They haven’t had any tests like that just two overall health checks. Not sure if it makes a difference but the rabbits and piggies are not in contact
🤷🏻‍♀️It is really hard to explain and your right it is very vague! I cant find anything online similar ! I have also checked we have a carbon monoxide alarm and it’s absolutely fine - thank goodness 🥲

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
They haven’t had any tests like that just two overall health checks. Not sure if it makes a difference but the rabbits and piggies are not in contact
🤷🏻‍♀️It is really hard to explain and your right it is very vague! I cant find anything online similar ! I have also checked we have a carbon monoxide alarm and it’s absolutely fine - thank goodness 🥲

Could they have eaten something they shouldn't have had? (Poisoning)
Have they recently had a parcel box to play with? I have seen a so far not further substantiated post that was warning that postal cardboard could be treated with disinfectant in order to prevent Covid transmission and that this had caused fatalities in guinea pigs.

EllieKatie

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Could they have eaten something they shouldn't have had? (Poisoning)
Have they recently had a parcel box to play with? I have seen a so far not further substantiated post that was warning that postal cardboard could be treated with disinfectant in order to prevent Covid transmission and that this had caused fatalities in guinea pigs.
No nothing like that, I can’t think of anything new or anything that has changed to upset them, Ava just keeps having a pop at Posie, they really just don’t seem to be getting on but they aren’t fighting.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
No nothing like that, I can’t think of anything new or anything that has changed to upset them, Ava just keeps having a pop at Posie, they really just don’t seem to be getting on but they aren’t fighting.

Please follow the tips re. temporary tester separation to evaluate a potentially dyfunctional bond but please be aware that any behavioural issues and changes are not the cause of the lethargy and loss of appetite but more a response to any changes in the hierarchy because of the leader being worse off.
Bonds In Trouble

I would also continue to monitor their weight daily and keep on with fibrous feeding top-up as necessary. You can't control the hay intake by eye - but it is by far the largest and most important food group with around 80%. In comparison, a small bowl of veg should only make about 15% and a tablespoon of pellets max about 5% of what a piggy eats in a day.
Weight - Monitoring and Management
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide
Probiotics, Recovery Foods And Vitamin C: Overview With Product Links