• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Travelling Guineas

Status
Not open for further replies.

PRC

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I am soon to move from Essex to Wales. I have 8 pigs who currently live in beautifully designed sheds with tunnels to runs in the garden. One shed has 5 males, the other a neutered male and 2 females. They are very spoiled and also fairly wild. The boys are prone to fighting if in too close proximity but are fine in the sheds as so much room. I am very worried about the stress a long (maybe 5 hour) journey will cause them. I have bought 8 separate travel boxes which I can cut airholes etc in as required. I plan to make large but not large enough to escape through windows so they can see the one next door. I plan to take lots of fruit on the journey to keep them hydrated. Can anyone offer advice to minimise their stress please?

I am soon to move from Essex to Wales. I have 8 pigs who currently live in beautifully designed sheds with tunnels to runs in the garden. One shed has 5 males, the other a neutered male and 2 females. They are very spoiled and also fairly wild. The boys are prone to fighting if in too close proximity but are fine in the sheds as so much room. I am very worried about the stress a long (maybe 5 hour) journey will cause them. I have bought 8 separate travel boxes which I can cut airholes etc in as required. I plan to make large but not large enough to escape through windows so they can see the one next door. I plan to take lots of fruit on the journey to keep them hydrated. Can anyone offer advice to minimise their stress please?

Please don't overdo the fruit! it is much better to feed your piggies with some fresh food shortly before you set out, so they are well hydrated and sleepy during the journey. A piece of cucumber is much better than fruit.
here are more tips: Travelling with guinea pigs

Reactions: PRC
Thank you for the advice. I have never given them cucumber as thought too watery but ideal on a journey I imagine. They live in runs and eat grass all the time so will be full up before they are caught and placed in boxes. As they are rather wild my voice appears more scary than reassuring sadly. Once moved and retired I will be able to spend more time with them though they will have a huge enclosure where I am going so I hope they will not go totally native!

Thank you for the advice. I have never given them cucumber as thought too watery but ideal on a journey I imagine. They live in runs and eat grass all the time so will be full up before they are caught and placed in boxes. As they are rather wild my voice appears more scary than reassuring sadly. Once moved and retired I will be able to spend more time with them though they will have a huge enclosure where I am going so I hope they will not go totally native!

Make sure that the enclosure is predator and birds of prey proof... Best of luck for the trip!

Any veg will do if they have normally acces to juicy food and the weather is not very hot. They won't dehydrate in just 2-3 hours. In my own experience, piggies don't each much when underway. ;)

The enclosure is securely netted and the fence comes out about 2 foot at the bottom so foxes cannot dig under. Its Pig Paradise!

The journey could be 5 hours which I thought a long time to be without water and all advice says don't put water in boxes as if it leaks they will get wet & cold. I was going to put hay and a bit of Readigrass in the boxes and stop to give a wet morsel every hour or so. is it a good idea to stop for a while half way or best to press on and get it over with?

Its so hard to move with animals. I have a cat, chickens and horse to move too! The cat has a large dog crate where she can have a litter tray as she may have to be crated for 2 days as she is nervous and I am worried about her reactions to strange men packing up the house. Its a 2 day move unfortunately as too far to pack, drive and unpack in a day.

The enclosure is securely netted and the fence comes out about 2 foot at the bottom so foxes cannot dig under. Its Pig Paradise!

The journey could be 5 hours which I thought a long time to be without water and all advice says don't put water in boxes as if it leaks they will get wet & cold. I was going to put hay and a bit of Readigrass in the boxes and stop to give a wet morsel every hour or so. is it a good idea to stop for a while half way or best to press on and get it over with?

Its so hard to move with animals. I have a cat, chickens and horse to move too! The cat has a large dog crate where she can have a litter tray as she may have to be crated for 2 days as she is nervous and I am worried about her reactions to strange men packing up the house. Its a 2 day move unfortunately as too far to pack, drive and unpack in a day.

I once took two of my piggies on daily meds with me on a 6 hour drive. We stopped a couple of times and I would offer some fresh (dog pee free) grass or veg then. Please don't overfill the boxes with hay unless you have airconditioning. it acts as an insulator and can overheat piggies.

I recently moved 17 guinea pigs across country on a three day trip driving 6 to 7 hours a day I separated my males into a singles for travel except for the bonded pairs and put a half a cucumber with lots of hay in the crates and they all traveled very well. For my girls I took them an split the group in two and put five in one kennel and five in the other with the same a cucumber and a bunch of hay. They all traveled very well. When we stopped at the hotels to sleep I gave them there pellets and fresh water and there veggies. Good luck

Reactions: PRC
I recently moved 17 guinea pigs across country on a three day trip driving 6 to 7 hours a day I separated my males into a singles for travel except for the bonded pairs and put a half a cucumber with lots of hay in the crates and they all traveled very well. For my girls I took them an split the group in two and put five in one kennel and five in the other with the same a cucumber and a bunch of hay. They all traveled very well. When we stopped at the hotels to sleep I gave them there pellets and fresh water and there veggies. Good luck
That's encouraging. I was going to travel all separately but cut windows into boxes so they can communicate. Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back