• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Unexpected loss of 8 month old boar.....

Seva

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, I’m wondering if anyone can help.

We’ve had guinea pigs for several years and never encountered this problem. I had two eight month old boars and one (Krug) unfortunately had to be put to sleep on Christmas Eve. We’re devastated because he was so sweet but now have a problem. The remaining piggie (Ru) was always very stressed and seemed unhappy around him- always mounting and rumbling to show dominance When we were around. They were bought as a pair and were bonded together from very young but upon the death of Krug, Ru seems calmer and hasn’t rumbled since. Furthermore, he never used to like being handled much and now he seems happy to come out and will even fall asleep on us! He is eating and squeaking as normal and doesnt seem to be pining at all.

We know they should always be kept in pairs but are worried about this piggie becoming unhappy again and having to constantly try to dominate the other.

Would it be ok to keep him alone or should we buy another (and does it matter about the age of the other as we were planning to rescue)- also, would getting two more stop the rumbling and constant mounting in this one.

Thanks in advance!

I’m sorry for your loss.

Rumbling and mounting is dominance, your boar is in his teens so the behaviour is more so, they will always do it and it isn’t a sign of a problematic relationship. He wasn’t unhappy with his previous partner - he was just being a normal piggy, It’s how they size up to each other, have a functioning hierarchy and is something they do throughout their entire lives, no matter which piggy which they live.

His rumbling will have stopped because he has nobody to rumble to. They deal with their loss and continue to live, but to thrive they do need a friend.

He does need a new friend, he is too young to be alone anyway, but piggies aren’t wired to be on their own.
When he does meet another piggy he is going to rumble and mount as it is a normal behaviour. The best way to find a new friend is via dating at a rescue centre as ir ensures character compatibility. If two piggies don’t have compatibility then they won’t bond. as your boy is in his teens and seems to be the dominant, then it can be trickier to get a bond due to his hormones so having a rescue centre help will be very valuable to you. He will need a submissive boar to be his friend. it might be that neutering him, having his six week wait to become infertile and then finding him a sow(s) (space permitting - Cage Size Guide ) to live with would be better if he can’t find a compatible boar. Age does not matter, it’s all about character when it comes to finding a new friend.

You cannot keep three boars together as it will result in fights (boars generally cant function properly as a trio or more, plus the space required to attempt a trio is huge - a square metre per piggy ).
Boars can really only be kept in pairs and a boar pair needs lots of space - 6ft x 2ft/180 x 60cm cage

A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
Adding More Guinea Pigs Or Merging Pairs – What Works And What Not?
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?

Looking After A Bereaved Guinea Pig

Last edited:
I’m sorry for your loss.

Rumbling and mounting is dominance, your boar is in his teens so the behaviour is more so, they will always do it and it isn’t a sign of a problematic relationship. He wasn’t unhappy with his previous partner - he was just being a normal piggy, It’s how they size up to each other, have a functioning hierarchy and is something they do throughout their entire lives, no matter which piggy which they live.

His rumbling will have stopped because he has nobody to rumble to. They deal with their loss and continue to live, but to thrive they do need a friend.

He does need a new friend, he is too young to be alone anyway, but piggies aren’t wired to be on their own.
When he does meet another piggy he is going to rumble and mount as it is a normal behaviour. The best way to find a new friend is via dating at a rescue centre as ir ensures character compatibility. If two piggies don’t have compatibility then they won’t bond. as your boy is in his teens and seems to be the dominant, then it can be trickier to get a bond due to his hormones so having a rescue centre help will be very valuable to you. He will need a submissive boar to be his friend. it might be that neutering him, having his six week wait to become infertile and then finding him a sow(s) (space permitting - Cage Size Guide ) to live with would be better if he can’t find a compatible boar. Age does not matter, it’s all about character when it comes to finding a new friend.

You cannot keep three boars together as it will result in fights (boars generally cant function properly as a trio or more, plus the space required to attempt a trio is huge - a square metre per piggy ).
Boars can really only be kept in pairs and a boar pair needs lots of space - 6ft x 2ft/180 x 60cm cage

A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
Adding More Guinea Pigs Or Merging Pairs – What Works And What Not?
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?

Looking After A Bereaved Guinea Pig
Thank you SO much for all your help and advice. You have answered all our questions and have reassured us about adding another boar to our family. We will definitely look at some local rescues to pair them in the next few days- fingers crossed we find one.

Thanks again

So sorry you lost Krug, it’s even sadder when they are so young x Sending hugs, I you can find a little friend for your boy Ru in the near future
Sleep tight little man 🌈

So sorry for your loss.
Holding you in my heart
Be gentle with yourself as you grieve

Thank you for your kind words. Still reeling in shock and miss my boy so much.

I’m sorry you lost Krug - especially at such a young age. I’m sure the great advice and links to guides will help you. He does need a friend to thrive. Good luck and always remember there are lots of people here who have experienced what you are going thru and we are all here to help you anyway we can.

Thank you for your kind words. Still reeling in shock and miss my boy so much.
Grief takes time. You will still feel in shock.
Have a browse through the bereavement guides here. There’s some helpful stuff there.
We are here to support you

Back