• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Unsure of Bloat

GinaRaj

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi,
My 2 month old female guinea pig, Maisy, is recently experiencing what I feel is a bloated stomach. She does not appear to be in any pain, is behaving totally normally, eating hay and drinking, pooping lots! However, I noticed she just appears to be a little bloated.
Not sure what to do, I got gripe water and I’ve been massaging her and she’s consistently pooping and behaving as normal, but I’m worried she has bloat. In some pictures, she looks totally normal, but in others I feel she looks very bloated.

Attachments

sport_billy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If she is pooping she hasn’t got bloat. She sounds fine, I have lots of experience with bloat in piggies.

I think you will find that is the shape of her as she has been growing :)

how long have you had her? How old is she?

PigglePuggle

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Hi, if she is not in any pain at all and is eating and pooping normally then she is unlikely to have bloat, which is often extremely painful. You might remove any watery or gassy veg from her diet for a few days to be on the safe side (no cabbage or kale or broccolli or lettuce) and just keep an eye on her, but any sign of pain or loss of appetite or change in poops be ready to take her to the vet- acute bloat can flare up very rapidly and can be fatal if not treated appropriately with prescription medicines like ranitidide and emeprid!

GinaRaj

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Update: she’s not bloated, just very pregnant! Unfortunately, the pet store I got her from misgendered a boar in her cage for a sow.. and I unknowingly took home a pregnant guinea pig. After a vet visit last week, she seems to be in perfect health and doing very well! She’s quite far along in labor as well.
However, today I felt her stomach and it was ROCK HARD, like a brick wall. Now I’m worried she has developed bloat, while pregnant. Still seems to be eating and drinking and pooping normally, but I’m just wondering if it’s a common sign of late stage pregnancy for her to get such a hard stomach?