• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Upcoming Holiday- Tears Will Fall!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jesse's pigs

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So I go on holiday next week and obviously I'm excited for a change but the dread of leaving my furbabies behind always dampens my mood! I hate the thought of them falling ill or passing whilst I'm away. A friend feeds my rabbit and covers him for the nights and she's looked after him a couple of times- though he's mainly independent anyway. The rest of my furbabies -my rabbit would but we can't take his hutch back and forth- go to stay with my nan who again has looked after them all before. I feel stupid because I'm lucky to have someone that is willing to look after them for me whilst I'm away but I can't help worrying! Is it just me or does everyone else? Mo gets spoilt there but I always think of the worst happening.

20161112_145426(0).jpg

It is scary leaving them, they are members of the family! At least you know your nan and friend will look after them and you are not leaving them with total strangers.

I am the same. Having to leave all my animals always puts a bit of a dampner on any holiday plus it is very vwry expensive (2 dogs 4 rabbits 5 hamsters and 2 guinea pigs).

I'm taking my mum away for 4 nights at the end of the month for her birthday once I've found a place I like and booked it and I know I'm gonna miss my pigs,I always do but luckily I've got a friend who will feed them and keep their cages clean.its natural to worry about them though x

I am just about to go away for a week with work and I hate leaving them, absolutely hate it My husband is in charge with my mother checking in but it's not the same although I know they are in wonderful hands I still worry every day. I am going to be away a lot this year and although it's exciting it's still the one thing that's a worry. I guess it's natural?

I think its natural. We were expecting Pete to pass early last year so when it came to our holiday in September I made sure I said a proper goodbye before I left but I did worry more than normal. As it happens I didn't need to but still, it's not easy loving these creatures

I once left my piggies to someone who never experienced with guinea pigs but very very kind and gentle with animals. I told her basic care and if anything shes worried on, shell check the internet. We were away to Italy for 10 days and when we came back, all positive... a wee bit too positive. She cleaned the cage every day and groomed them twice a day!(long haired) also spoiling them with extra treats! I'm sure my piggies would like to live with her now ( except for the grooming part)

I hate leaving the piggies even for the day but always come home to happy wheeking. I would be inconsolable if I was to leave them for a week or more. Hope you have a good holiday :)

I don't like leaving my lot to go to work every day!

I'm currently on leave so I'm with them almost constantly :)

Holidays are not my thing. I'm spending all spare money either on the house or on the piggies and hamster :)

I've had the same problem recently, what with being in respite. Luckily I could still sneak home for a few hours every couple of days and I'm hoping they'll agree to discharging the me next week, but it's hard. I know someone is checking in on them, but are they getting pellets? Is their water being changed? Are they getting hay and veggies? Is Blitzen developing an even more matted butt? Is the flat too cold? Are they fighting?

Tbh if this is how bad I am when I can go back, I may have to avoid ever taking holidays again.

@Lorcan hopefully you'll be discharged really soon and find your piggies have made themselves rather comfortable and are as healthy as ever! Yes I always say "No more holidays!"but then I get back and they're absolutely fine and you can't not go anywhere I suppose. I'm on holiday now and I'm anxiously awaiting some pictures of them :lol!:

I worry when I am at work and my mum is with them, so the thought of leaving them for any length of time fills me with dread. I had a 10 day holiday in 2015 which was lovely but I cried all the way to the airport because I'd left them. They were fine of course but I was constantly in touch to check they were ok.

I would like to go away this year even if I have a weekend break somewhere so will have to man up I suppose!

I have the opposite problem (although I also worry when we go away), but soon DD1 will go away on ski camp with the school.
I will be left in charge of the guinea pigs and am terrified of being the one responsible for handling Ruby.
Ruby really doesn't like me (Ruby doesn't actually like anyone) and I will have to send daily updates to DD1 about how well is it going.
I predict it will be a long (and nerve wracking) week.

I have the opposite problem (although I also worry when we go away), but soon DD1 will go away on ski camp with the school.
I will be left in charge of the guinea pigs and am terrified of being the one responsible for handling Ruby.
Ruby really doesn't like me (Ruby doesn't actually like anyone) and I will have to send daily updates to DD1 about how well is it going.
I predict it will be a long (and nerve wracking) week.

Oh Ruby, you are such a little handful!

I worry for the rats more than the guinea pigs. Rats are harder to find care for as they are not quite so liked, and then it's also important they are handled daily and offered some form of mental stimuli to keep them from being bored. Guinea pigs are easier in the respect that they can get by with minimal interaction for a few days if really needed without becoming too destructive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back