• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

euthene

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I recently just got a pig named Max (white piggy). Their owners couldn't keep him since they were moving to a smaller place, so I had my piggy meet him. I thought it was fine between them, a lot of dominance between the both of them but nothing more serious when I met with her. Once I got home and put them in the cage, I had to do chores. I come back 30 minutes later to see Wumbo in the hay rack (it's pretty high of a rack), stuck and terrified. I tried grabbing him out as quickly since it was hanging, then Max just comes at my left hand and bit me three times. He bit me really deep and drew a ton of blood from my hands that I got Wumbo stained. I'm really stressed out right now, because his owners can't really keep him and I can't think of another option at the moment. I don't even have an extra cage to keep them both separated unfortunately, so Wumbo is just hanging around my room. Please help, I feel as if I'm in a tight spot right now

Attachments

• 20190902_172401.jpg
    20190902_172401.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 20190902_171216.jpg
    20190902_171216.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 20190902_130845.jpg
    20190902_130845.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 12
Update:
So the blood mark on his face is actually from Max, and now I'm incredibly worried about them together even more

Had you cleaned out the cage before you put them both back in? Because the ‘old’ piggy doesn’t take kindly to its territory being invaded by a strangepig. If you didn’t clean it out that’s likely the cause of the ‘argument’. You need to do the bonding on neutral ground where neither of their smells is. A pile of hay, some veggies and no hides.

Are there any bites or injuries you can see on Max? And how big is the cage they are/were in? Boys need 140cm+, preferably 150cm+. They can be territorial so need space to get away from each other. Also you’d need two of everything - hides, bowls etc. How old are they?

I would separate for the night, and if no blood was drawn (there is a difference between intentional harm and a misplaced swipe) I would try bonding when you have time to monitor it. You can always leave them in the bonding pen if needs be.

Here are some threads on bonding. Have a read before you try again.
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

Bonds In Trouble

A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars

" Biting" And What You Can Do (Biting, Tweaking, Nibbling and Nipping)

Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?

Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs

Hi, firstly the bite was probably quite scary and painful! But don't think it was because the guinea pig doesn't like you, or is aggressive. Your action of quickly grabbing Wumbo out of the hay rack probably spooked Max who then bit. Remember that he is still settling in.

Now, bonding can take a long old while and once put into a new environment- in this case the cage- they will immediately restart the dominance behaviour to determine which is boss in this situation. If possible I would try binding in a day when you can have them together working it out for a couple of hours before even thinking of placing them in a fresh cage.

Now in terms of next steps and if Wumbo was bitten by Max, you can try a rebonding session. Let things calm down and then perhaps try a bonding bath? In the same stressful situation they're likely to accept each other out. Then in a large open space- or even outside where there is just no scent of either piggy- attempt to rebond. Now if blood is drawn we usually say that that is it, but I reckon a second try wouldn't hurt.

In terms of the cage, clean it out so that there is no scent of either piggy and I'd even rearrange everything so that it is to them a 'new' cage.

Hi, firstly the bite was probably quite scary and painful! But don't think it was because the guinea pig doesn't like you, or is aggressive. Your action of quickly grabbing Wumbo out of the hay rack probably spooked Max who then bit. Remember that he is still settling in.

Now, bonding can take a long old while and once put into a new environment- in this case the cage- they will immediately restart the dominance behaviour to determine which is boss in this situation. If possible I would try binding in a day when you can have them together working it out for a couple of hours before even thinking of placing them in a fresh cage.

Now in terms of next steps and if Wumbo was bitten by Max, you can try a rebonding session. Let things calm down and then perhaps try a bonding bath? In the same stressful situation they're likely to accept each other out. Then in a large open space- or even outside where there is just no scent of either piggy- attempt to rebond. Now if blood is drawn we usually say that that is it, but I reckon a second try wouldn't hurt.

In terms of the cage, clean it out so that there is no scent of either piggy and I'd even rearrange everything so that it is to them a 'new' cage.
Thank you so much for the advice! 💙💚

Am tagging in @Wiebke

Has blood been drawn on one of the piggies from the other?

I recently just got a pig named Max (white piggy). Their owners couldn't keep him since they were moving to a smaller place, so I had my piggy meet him. I thought it was fine between them, a lot of dominance between the both of them but nothing more serious when I met with her. Once I got home and put them in the cage, I had to do chores. I come back 30 minutes later to see Wumbo in the hay rack (it's pretty high of a rack), stuck and terrified. I tried grabbing him out as quickly since it was hanging, then Max just comes at my left hand and bit me three times. He bit me really deep and drew a ton of blood from my hands that I got Wumbo stained. I'm really stressed out right now, because his owners can't really keep him and I can't think of another option at the moment. I don't even have an extra cage to keep them both separated unfortunately, so Wumbo is just hanging around my room. Please help, I feel as if I'm in a tight spot right now

Hi!

Please take a deep breath! Do you have a laundry basket, a bathtub or a large cardboard box or can fashion a divider from a large piece of cardboard to tie into the cage?

I am very sorry; the fact Wumbo did bite you deeply with instinctive defence bites is a clear sign that he is very stressed and on edge.
Please check both boars for needle prick-like deep bite wounds; you will usually find them in pairs with the width of a mouth apart.
Wumbo is obviously not prepared to share his quarters with a boar he perceives as an intruder.
" Biting" And What You Can Do (Biting, Tweaking, Nibbling and Nipping)

Please contact Portland Guinea Pig Rescue in Beaverton. It is the best and safest place in the whole state for Max to go; it is a good standard non-kill guinea pig rescue that is active into Washington and North California.
The rescue also has got a sow spaying policy so you might be able to find a safe long term companion for Wumbo at the rescue. Cross gender bonds are the most stable of all because you have instincts behind you instead of against you - and you will have the rescue at your back for the life time of any adopted piggy of theirs, you won't have to face another situation like the current one ever again. ;)
Facebook: Portland Guinea Pig Rescue

PS: Make sure that you disinfect your hand, too, and if necessary have it checked. Guinea pigs have always got gunk in their mouths.

Back