• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Popcorn bby

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My piggies started getting treated for URI three days ago with Baytril. The last URI (ab a month ago) was also treated with Baytril, and all the symptoms went away within the second day of Baytril. This is now the third, almost fourth day and although they aren't worsening (at least I do not believe so), they aren't getting any better either right now. The sneezing has calmed down the first two days, but today they're still sneezing quite a lot (one Piggie has about four sneezes in a row already). And although I know for a fact that they are both going to heal from this URI an get through it, it's still extremely stressful. So now comes my question, should have the Baytril kicked in by now? How long should I wait before calling the vet? Thank you PLEASE reply soon

My piggies started getting treated for URI three days ago with Baytril. The last URI (ab a month ago) was also treated with Baytril, and all the symptoms went away within the second day of Baytril. This is now the third, almost fourth day and although they aren't worsening (at least I do not believe so), they aren't getting any better either right now. The sneezing has calmed down the first two days, but today they're still sneezing quite a lot (one Piggie has about four sneezes in a row already). And although I know for a fact that they are both going to heal from this URI an get through it, it's still extremely stressful. So now comes my question, should have the Baytril kicked in by now? How long should I wait before calling the vet? Thank you PLEASE reply soon
I forgot to mention that other than the constant sneezing, there is still a crackling noise in them as well. When I put my hand under my piggies chest, I can feel it vibrating when she he breathes! Someone please reply soon!

Are they on any probiotics? I'd take them back to a vet.

I forgot to mention that other than the constant sneezing, there is still a crackling noise in them as well. When I put my hand under my piggies chest, I can feel it vibrating when she he breathes! Someone please reply soon!

Hi!

Please have them vet checked.

I would however strongly recommend to discuss alternative causes and start researching for other environmental causes for the sneezing; like hay dust, bedding, pollen, perfumed or scented products, air con on full blast near a cage etc.

From my Taffy, who had a sensitivity to not dust extracted hay I know that she could get crackly breathing just from the dust. Antibiotics would depress symptoms in the short term but because she never had a respiratory infection, the medication would not cure the problem.

I would also state that in our long term experience on this forum, sneezing as a single symptom is in the vast majority of cases a reaction to hay dust. A proper URI will quickly develop into crackly breathing, loss of appetite etc. but sneezing is actually one of the rarer symptoms. Vets will always treat for URI as a first line of defence because it is a potential killer and because working through sensitivities/allergies is a slow and painful process of trial and error.

I would however strongly recommend to switch the hay brand and see whether that is bringing you the relief you are looking for.
A Comprehensive Hay Guide for Guinea Pigs (incl. providers in several countries)

Are they on any probiotics? I'd take them back to a vet.
It's quite complicated with the probiotic. We give Baytril twice a day, at 6am and 6pm. We have to leave for school right after 6am, so we aren't able to give them a probiotic two hours after. The second dose at 6pm is the only one that gets a probiotic two hours after. Although recently I haven't been consistent with it because school just started yesterday. I'm gonna start doing consistently now though, I'm determined. We are calling the vet tomorrow to see if we should bring them in or not, but since we were there two days ago, my mom will almost surely refuse. I'll update tomorrow once we call.

Hi!

Please have them vet checked.

I would however strongly recommend to discuss alternative causes and start researching for other environmental causes for the sneezing; like hay dust, bedding, pollen, perfumed or scented products, air con on full blast near a cage etc.

From my Taffy, who had a sensitivity to not dust extracted hay I know that she could get crackly breathing just from the dust. Antibiotics would depress symptoms in the short term but because she never had a respiratory infection, the medication would not cure the problem.

I would also state that in our long term experience on this forum, sneezing as a single symptom is in the vast majority of cases a reaction to hay dust. A proper URI will quickly develop into crackly breathing, loss of appetite etc. but sneezing is actually one of the rarer symptoms. Vets will always treat for URI as a first line of defence because it is a potential killer and because working through sensitivities/allergies is a slow and painful process of trial and error.

I would however strongly recommend to switch the hay brand and see whether that is bringing you the relief you are looking for.
A Comprehensive Hay Guide for Guinea Pigs (incl. providers in several countries)
Now that I think about it, the only symptoms I saw at first were crackly breathing and horrible sneezing. They haven't lost appetite at all (they're always wheeking for veggies five minutes after I fed them haha). This all happened and is happening around the time when Oxbow Western Timothy Hay bags in my area are a bit dustier than usual, so it kind of all adds up. However, I do put them up to my ear sometimes to hear their breathing, and the Piggie I did it to today sounded a bit harsher (not audibly on the outside, but when I held her up). Might just be paranoia though. However I do have question @Wiebke , if you don't mind. If the vet was to just give us another antibiotic to give along with Baytril right now, and they took it but end up not having a URI, would this be harmful to them?

Now that I think about it, the only symptoms I saw at first were crackly breathing and horrible sneezing. They haven't lost appetite at all (they're always wheeking for veggies five minutes after I fed them haha). This all happened and is happening around the time when Oxbow Western Timothy Hay bags in my area are a bit dustier than usual, so it kind of all adds up. However, I do put them up to my ear sometimes to hear their breathing, and the Piggie I did it to today sounded a bit harsher (not audibly on the outside, but when I held her up). Might just be paranoia though. However I do have question @Wiebke , if you don't mind. If the vet was to just give us another antibiotic to give along with Baytril right now, and they took it but end up not having a URI, would this be harmful to them?

No, it would not directly be harmful but in the long term overuse of antibiotics can lead to a problematic resistance later in life.
If you would like to switch, it would be much better to have a lab test done to find the antibiotic the nasal swap is reacting to if it is really a bacterial infection. A lab test is not quite cheap but it means that any resulting medication will be effective.

I would recommend to look at our hay guide, too. You may find it helpful.

No, it would not directly be harmful but in the long term overuse of antibiotics can lead to a problematic resistance later in life.
If you would like to switch, it would be much better to have a lab test done to find the antibiotic the nasal swap is reacting to if it is really a bacterial infection. A lab test is not quite cheap but it means that any resulting medication will be effective.

I would recommend to look at our hay guide, too. You may find it helpful.
I do not think we will be able to do the nasal swab unfortunately, since we've already spent so much money on constant vet trips. I think the best shot would be for the vet to listen to their lungs, and if she doesn't hear anything concerning, then we discuss what you have been suggesting. The only problem is it's Wednesday and because of school and work we wouldn't be able to take them until the weekend :/

I do not think we will be able to do the nasal swab unfortunately, since we've already spent so much money on constant vet trips. I think the best shot would be for the vet to listen to their lungs, and if she doesn't hear anything concerning, then we discuss what you have been suggesting. The only problem is it's Wednesday and because of school and work we wouldn't be able to take them until the weekend :/

I would continue with the baytril as prescribed until then. All the best!

Back