• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

We Pulled Our Pig Off All Meds She She Got Better: Lily’s Story

Lilythepig2017

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
First I will start off by saying, I cannot recommend what we did. There are situations when medicine is vital to saving your pig. This was a very personal decision we made for our pig. I just wanted to post in case it helps someone their pig.

So we adopted our pig Lily a month ago. She is 4 months old now.

She had a rough start. When she first came to us she had some sneezing. At the time she was on care fresh bedding. Took her to an exotic vet they said she could have an URI so they placed her on 2 antibiotics and an anti inflammatory. (We found out later one of the antibiotics should never be given to young pigs as it could stunt them. The anti-inflammatory medicine, while legal for pigs, is illegal for humans I found out and could cause serious side effects and death). Well in 2 days she stopped eating and pooping. So back again vet we went. This time they gave her a medicine to move her intestines as well and a syringe feeding kit.

The whole next day my mommy senses were telling me this protocol was killing her. My husband agreed. She looked awful. She was taking the syringe feedings but we made the executive decision to take her off all the medicines, continue to syringe feed until her appetite and big normal poos returned, probiotics, and syringe feed her vitamin C. We thought if we continued with the meds like the dr asked she would die. And the stress alone of being syringe fed wasn’t helping her immune system. I replaced her bedding with fleece instead.

After a few days she regained her appetite. I then gave her herbs/ flowers etc for guinea pigs and echinacea plant for guinea pigs to boost her immune system. Within a week her poos went from nonexistent to small and pale to normal in 7 days. she regained her appetite and was running around popcorning. Almost a month later she is thriving. Not a sneeze in site. She calls when we call her by name. She is always friendly. Loves to come cuddle on laps. She loves to zoom around the living room. She enjoys wheat grass and loves peas. We love her so much. She is like a little puppy. She loves to follow me around the house.
Was she ever sick? I don’t know. She either had allergies to that paper bedding (she did sneeze in it often) had a light cold that taking those antibiotics for just three days helped, or she had a small cold and she got better without meds and nature took its course. We will never know. But what I do know is she would have died if we hadn’t stopped those meds. They will killing her far quicker than that sneeze. We are so grateful we listened to our inner voice on this one. I cannot recommend what we did for another pig but I hope our story helps others make what we decision they see fit for their pig.

Is your vet used to treating guinea pigs? Most vets just see cats and dogs and not many guinea pigs. Piggies are classed as an exotic pet believe it or not. There is a vet locator at the top of the page. I'm pleased your piggie is better but it's not something that is recommended.

That's an interesting story to read, it's difficult when you rely on vets who don't have experience. Where abouts are you located?

My advice would be to find a better, more piggy experienced vet :) I also had a vet prescribe tramadol for itchy skin so I know how dangerous a poor vet can be.

Hello Ladies! Thanks for reading :)

Yes, the vet is an exotic vet that deals soley with only small animals/ exotics and birds. No dogs or cats. I use them for my birds (which they have been excellent for) but this is my first time for my guinea pigs. I find exotics really don't get treated with the same level of care as cats and dogs and it's sad as they are every bit as lovely.

Amazing story . I’m so pleased that Lily has recovered.
May she live a long, happy and spoilt life.
The more vet stories I read on the forum the more I realise how incredibly lucky I am with my vet who has been so good, thorough and careful when I’ve needed her services.
The prices are also much more reasonable than others.

No, I went through the research with my vet - and no it doesn’t. I can’t recall the ins and outs but they took me through the studies. This was supported by the second opinion I got.
That’s good to know! Thanks for sharing that

I've had issues with vets pushing a course of action that you instinctively know is wrong for the pet. I have found this more so with dogs than with piggies. Although I have been told twice I should separate my piggy boys, once over one small scratch and then again over one 35g worth of weight loss and I've only had guineas since Nov! They were wrong on both counts seeing the boys seem to be doing just fine together - touch wood. But with my dogs I have a myriad of stories where my and my husbands common sense has saved my dogs from operations, sedations and all sorts. Vets prefer being invasive but I have found that once the immediate pain or issue is sorted pets seem to heal quicker on their own with med support if required and without constant prodding or meddling. To blindly follow instruction without considering the evidence right in front of you is foolish I think, vet or no vet, so well done!

Thanks so much. I agree. I think there are times when it’s valid but there are also many many times when I think all that prodding can make them worse, especially for a creature so very small. I think too that I’m sure there is some natural level they have to overcome a very very low level sickness but the vets want to stave off the sickness that could progress into something deadly fast (which does happen fast in pigs sadly). unfortunetly though that means hitting it with all they got medication wise, and that alone may compromise the very delicate system of such a small animal. It’s a hard call and it think bottom line is you have to listen to your instincts. Like your husband did. :)

Back