• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Weird and sad news

Sadguineapiggy

New Born Pup
Reaction score
One of the two guinea pigs died. I wasnt sure if he was dead because when I touched him, he twitched and the other one was humping him. They already did the dominance ritual months ago. He stopped moving, so I think he died right in front of me or just an hour ago because rigor mortis hadnt set in, but he wasnt blinking so I'm guessing it has. Does anyone know why my guinea pig was humping the dead one? By the way, for the guinea pig that has died. He had a wet yellow hair under him, I thought he just peed himself but now I'm thinking it might be barf. Why do you guys think he died? I changed the cage last week, the poop was fine, I fed them every night, and I always give then water when they run low. I'm very sad and confused now because I had another guinea pig that died because he drank too much water. ( it sounds weird, but before the Guinea died today, with the other dead guinea pig, the bedding would always become wet after a week. And with the new dead guinea pig, the bedding would not be wet after a week so that's how the other one died.) I also know that he died of too much water because the one guinea pig I have now is still alive and has been with both of the two guinea pigs. He's only been sick once because of vitamin c deficiency. So i am pretty sure they didnt die from me not taking good care of them.

One of the two guinea pigs died. I wasnt sure if he was dead because when I touched him, he twitched and the other one was humping him. They already did the dominance ritual months ago. He stopped moving, so I think he died right in front of me or just an hour ago because rigor mortis hadnt set in, but he wasnt blinking so I'm guessing it has. Does anyone know why my guinea pig was humping the dead one? By the way, for the guinea pig that has died. He had a wet yellow hair under him, I thought he just peed himself but now I'm thinking it might be barf. Why do you guys think he died? I changed the cage last week, the poop was fine, I fed them every night, and I always give then water when they run low. I'm very sad and confused now because I had another guinea pig that died because he drank too much water. ( it sounds weird, but before the Guinea died today, with the other dead guinea pig, the bedding would always become wet after a week. And with the new dead guinea pig, the bedding would not be wet after a week so that's how the other one died.) I also know that he died of too much water because the one guinea pig I have now is still alive and has been with both of the two guinea pigs. He's only been sick once because of vitamin c deficiency. So i am pretty sure they didnt die from me not taking good care of them.

Hi and welcome!

I am very sorry for your losses!

Guinea pigs don't die from drinking too much!
If you notice suddenly increased drinking or urination, you need to see a vet because your piggy is ill.

Please clean your cage twice weekly and not just once weekly. The individual water intake can vary a lot from drinking a lot to hardly drinking at all. But guinea pigs will never drink more than they need.
All About Drinking And Bottles

Your remaining guinea pig is traumatised by the sudden death; it may have been from a stroke. Please bring him inside if he isn't already, clean out and disinfect the cage or hutch with a vet grade disinfectant.
Here are tips for what you can do for him now and in the longer term:
Looking After A Bereaved Guinea Pig

Do not overfeed on watery veg, but provide unlimited hay which should make over 80% of the daily food intake as well as fresh, clean and cool water daily in a regularly cleaned bottle. Make sure that your diet contains plenty of vitamin C in the diet as shown in our sample diet in this link.
Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

it is very important that you keep your guinea pigs cool; they do not sweat but regulate their body temperature via the air flow in their ears. That means that they struggle with quick changes in temperature as well as heat or extreme cold.
They have evolved to live in a way that allows them to avoid extremes as much as possible.
Hot weather can contribute to a death through the additional stress on a body that already has got an underlying problem. It can also kill directly via a heat stroke.
Hot Weather Management And Heat Strokes

Back