• Potteries GPR Christmas Fair Saturday 16th November 2019 Information Click Here Come join us at the Forum Table at this Event.
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

weird behavior

wstretnababa

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, i’m new to this site and english isn’t my first language, but i hope you will understand my problem.
I have two guinea pigs, both male, they’re about 2 years old. They live together since then. One of them(Bialas is his name), started behaving unusual. He doesn’t have appetite, won’t eat or even drink(but maybe he does this when i’m not watching). I was feeding them as always, they have fresh water and hay. About three days ago he stopped behaving as usual. Instead of eating and drinking he is following his mate around the cage and sniffing his butt/fur around this area. I guess it irritates the other pig, because from time to time he(the other guinea pig-Solar) lets a high pitched squeak. Should i take him to the vet? My parents wouldn’t be happy about that and i don’t have much money.

Pxhione

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi, i’m new to this site and english isn’t my first language, but i hope you will understand my problem.
I have two guinea pigs, both male, they’re about 2 years old. They live together since then. One of them(Bialas is his name), started behaving unusual. He doesn’t have appetite, won’t eat or even drink(but maybe he does this when i’m not watching). I was feeding them as always, they have fresh water and hay. About three days ago he stopped behaving as usual. Instead of eating and drinking he is following his mate around the cage and sniffing his butt/fur around this area. I guess it irritates the other pig, because from time to time he(the other guinea pig-Solar) lets a high pitched squeak. Should i take him to the vet? My parents wouldn’t be happy about that and i don’t have much money.
Hey!

So male Guinea pigs tend to chase each other around when figuring out the heirarchy. This can include sniffing buts and nibbling the area slightly. Mounting is also common. They are most likely figuring out which male will be the alpha.
Are they vibrating? (rumblestrutting) this is also a sign.

This is my take on this but keep us updated with any new symptoms you see :)

wstretnababa

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hey!

So male Guinea pigs tend to chase each other around when figuring out the heirarchy. This can include sniffing buts and nibbling the area slightly. Mounting is also common. They are most likely figuring out which male will be the alpha.
Are they vibrating? (rumblestrutting) this is also a sign.

This is my take on this but keep us updated with any new symptoms you see :)
Thank you for your answer :) Yes, they are rumblestrutting, sometimes they also are mounting each other. I hope it’s just the symptoms of growing up and figuring out who will be the alpha, as you said. I will also try to feed Bialas from the hand, outside of the cage, maybe then he will decide to eat and won’t be that focused by his mate presence.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for your answer :) Yes, they are rumblestrutting, sometimes they also are mounting each other. I hope it’s just the symptoms of growing up and figuring out who will be the alpha, as you said. I will also try to feed Bialas from the hand, outside of the cage, maybe then he will decide to eat and won’t be that focused by his mate presence.
Hi and welcome

If you are worried about eating/bullying, please switch from the normal once weekly weighing to weighing daily in order to monitor the food intake more closely. Be aware that over 80% of what a guinea pig eats in a day should be unlimited hay for good health and a long life. Be aware that a developing health problem can cause a renewal of dominance behaviour.
Weight - Monitoring and Management
Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

Even adult boars can sometimes suffer from sudden hormone spikes, which usually last about a day or two.
If you have worries, please read up on these behaviour guides:
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
Bonds In Trouble
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs