• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Weird noises

Miranda1974

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi guys,

my guinea pig is making these noises but only seems to make them at night (theyre house pets) but doesn’t make it every night and not all the time... It’s accompanied by sometimes coughing.
it sounds like very low effortless squeaking

I’ve taken him to the vets and they examined him and said he was perfectly healthy but these noises sound distressing to me.
I have a video of the noise here
Any opinions?

Sounds like he’s just chatting as he wanders around his cage.
Will you be getting him a friend anytime soon? They’d social animals and need constant company of their own kind. Boys can only live in pairs.
:wel:

If a vet has ruled out a medical problem, then that is a good thing.
As for the coughing, again, if no medical concern exists, then sometimes if can be the type of bedding. It looks like shavings on the cage floor, sometimes these can be dusty and cause piggies to cough. Changing bedding may help.

The noises do sound like your piggy just chatting. If your piggy is alone, and it does look like it, then he will be lonely. Piggies are highly social, they talk to each other all the time and get lonely and depressed if by themselves. Do get him a male friend to live with.

As for the coughing, again, if no medical concern exists, then sometimes if can be the type of bedding. It looks like shavings on the cage floor, sometimes these can be dusty and cause piggies to cough. Changing bedding may help.

The noises do sound like your piggy just chatting. If your piggy is alone, and it does look like it, then he will be lonely. Piggies are highly social, they talk to each other all the time and get lonely and depressed if by themselves. Do get him a male friend to live with.

he’s not alone! His friend was just in his igloo :)

Thanks for the help! He does have a friend he was just in a different part of the cage :)

Will you be getting him a friend anytime soon? They’d social animals and need constant company of their own kind. Boys can only live in pairs.

thanks for the advice! his friend was just sleeping in the igloo :)
Thanks for the help. He does have a friend he was just asleep in the igloo 😂 Thankyou!

👍🏾 Just make sure their cage is big enough (140cm minimum). Boars need more space than sows. We’d love more pictures. 🙂

PS please change them to pellets rather than a muesli mix. It stops selective feeding. If I’m wrong about what’s in the bowl then my bad!

That’s great then!
As I said, as long as medical issues have been ruled out, then he is just chatting

I think he's just 'chatting' to himself as he walks around. My kids call it the 'busy pig' noise. Some pigs chatter more than others, and some have different 'voices' (for instance, Leela is a constant chatterer but sounds more whistly than your boy, but my past pig Sundae made a similar sound to your little guy.)

Back