• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Weird Tick-alike Thingie On My Baby :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

nens

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello guys, id love to have some help around here instead of flying right away to a vet.
Nano is my male guinea pig, he has about 5 months and he is very active and sweet.

About 3 weeks ago, i caught what i thought it would be a tick on him. I heated up the tip of sum tweezers and tried to pull it out a dozen times. I hurt my baby, but i finally managed to take it off. He bleed like hell, but it passed. It didnt look like a tick tho, it had an "squashed almond"-like body. I dont know if i chopped the supposed tick's body, but it came out without the head and now all he has is a hairless zone with a brownish spot.
It kinda healed, I stopped feeding him grass from my yard so i thought he would be fine and no more ticks would appear.

But yesterday, when i was playing with him, i saw another of those "ticks". It had exactly the same size, it made exactly the same brownish spot around it and it was perfectly symmetrical to the other wound!

tumblr_nsz5xt2Npf1thxshfo1_1280.jpg

Here is a pic of the wounds. On the left its the healed wound, and on the right is the new wound.

tumblr_nsz5xt2Npf1thxshfo2_1280.jpg

Here u can see the shape of this thing.

Please help me, he is still very active and nothing has changed, but this is worrying me a lot :(

I think you are best to take a vet visit. Firstly to find out what the tick thing is, then also to find out what to do about the sores.

i agree. The vet can also check wether the head is still there.Good luck, keep us informed

Hello guys, id love to have some help around here instead of flying right away to a vet.
Nano is my male guinea pig, he has about 5 months and he is very active and sweet.

About 3 weeks ago, i caught what i thought it would be a tick on him. I heated up the tip of sum tweezers and tried to pull it out a dozen times. I hurt my baby, but i finally managed to take it off. He bleed like hell, but it passed. It didnt look like a tick tho, it had an "squashed almond"-like body. I dont know if i chopped the supposed tick's body, but it came out without the head and now all he has is a hairless zone with a brownish spot.
It kinda healed, I stopped feeding him grass from my yard so i thought he would be fine and no more ticks would appear.

But yesterday, when i was playing with him, i saw another of those "ticks". It had exactly the same size, it made exactly the same brownish spot around it and it was perfectly symmetrical to the other wound!

tumblr_nsz5xt2Npf1thxshfo1_1280.jpg

Here is a pic of the wounds. On the left its the healed wound, and on the right is the new wound.

tumblr_nsz5xt2Npf1thxshfo2_1280.jpg

Here you can see the shape of this thing.

Please help me, he is still very active and nothing has changed, but this is worrying me a lot :(

Are you meaning his nipples by any chance? If not, then please have any tick bite checked by a vet.
Guinea pig body quirks

i dont think those are nipples... it has a "crusty" look and touch.

Nipples can be crusty, but in that case, they should be investigated by a vet.

Oh dear XD will have to get to the vet so they can let you know if it was indeed, a tick, or a nipple!

Judging from your pics, that simply looks like a very normal nipple- boars have them too. Unlike a lot of other rodents who have a row of nipples, guinea pigs only have two, situated above the hind legs. That would certainly explain why the last one bled and bled!

Yeah.. That is most definitely 100% a nipple :/

I also think that's a nipple ! But you wouldn't be the first one on here to think that it's something else !

3 ed nipples are not uncomom , i have a sow with 3, and have had a few in the past , and i have one now , they can give rise to mamaey tumers , but i wouldent
Be overly worried
Apart from regular monerting for regular monerting , pigs with this condition are usualy ok

Incerdently , i have heard of a pig with 4 nipples

Err yeah I'm pretty sure that's a nipple too, poor piggy I bet that hurt! I'd go to the vet and check...that's why if you are unsure of something it's best to ask a vet first and not self diagnose unless you are 100% sure :)

Oh also if you ever do find a tick you can do more harm than good it you don't remove them properly...if you remove the body without the head they can get infections etc You have to twist a tick off not just pull, or they can be suffocated with tick away cream but best to check with vets first if not sure anyway :)

Defanatly , always run things past your vet , better safe than sorry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back