• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

What is wrong with his lip?

TeddyIsMyPig

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I’ve attached an image below of Teddy’s lip, I have read some where that it could just be chapped lips however I’m not to sure. He lives outside and it is colder outside in the current months however I’m not sure, if it is what do I do to help him?E4A9AC65-54D3-4B58-945D-8003867E26B6.jpeg5C8D3394-E2ED-40A1-92DB-7CCEF4CFA983.jpeg

To me it looks like mouth sores - Cheilitis... but I'm no expert! Maybe get him to the vets for a check up?

I’ve attached an image below of Teddy’s lip, I have read some where that it could just be chapped lips however I’m not to sure. He lives outside and it is colder outside in the current months however I’m not sure, if it is what do I do to help him?View attachment 105809View attachment 105810

Hi and welcome!

Please bring your piggy inside if at all possible. Guinea pigs are NOT winter hardy, and it is particularly cold at the moment. they need to be treated like you treat tender plants and need to be ideally kept in stable temperatures between 15-25 C all year round. They can also die from heat stroke during heatwaves.
Cold Weather Care For Guinea Pigs
Hot weather management and heat strokes

Please see a vet before the weekend for cheilitis. This is a lip infection caused by too much acid in the diet. In advanced stages it can be fatal. Guinea Lynx :: Cheilitis

Please stop feeding any fruit and tomato altogether from now on as they provide the acid that has caused the problem; too much and/too often causes tiny cracks in the skin of the lips and mouth through which bugs can get in.
Please reduce the veg to 50g per piggy per day and the pellets to 1 tablespoon of pellets per piggy per day; over 80% of the food intake should be unlimited hay, hay, hay for long term health and a long life.
Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

Here is our list of recommended UK vets: Recommended Guinea Pig Vets

Hi and welcome!

Please bring your piggy inside if at all possible. Guinea pigs are NOT winter hardy, and it is particularly cold at the moment. they need to be treated like you treat tender plants and need to be ideally kept in stable temperatures between 15-25 C all year round. They can also die from heat stroke during heatwaves.
Cold Weather Care For Guinea Pigs
Hot weather management and heat strokes

Please see a vet before the weekend for cheilitis. This is a lip infection caused by too much acid in the diet. In advanced stages it can be fatal. Guinea Lynx :: Cheilitis

Please stop feeding any fruit and tomato altogether from now on as they provide the acid that has caused the problem; too much and/too often causes tiny cracks in the skin of the lips and mouth through which bugs can get in.
Please reduce the veg to 50g per piggy per day and the pellets to 1 tablespoon of pellets per piggy per day; over 80% of the food intake should be unlimited hay, hay, hay for long term health and a long life.
Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

Here is our list of recommended UK vets: Recommended Guinea Pig Vets
He is outside however, he has two heated pads to make sure he is warm

This happened to one on my pigs before. It was too much tomato, when i stopped them, it cleared up in a few days

Does he have a friend to snuggle up to?
Currently no, he argued with his last friend so all three of them are separated however we are currently in the process of getting all three boys girls. We have one so far but can’t get another one tell it warms up

Back