What To Do When Adoption Isn’t An Option?

Shelby._.

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello, recently I had a guinea pig pass away leaving his cage mate Gus all alone. Gus has been handling it very well and the only behavioral change is that his a bit more skidish than normal. But none the less I will definitely be getting Gus a new buddy. The only problem is my nearest rescue that takes in small animals is 3 hours away. I really want to adopt but it is very hard to find guinea pigs in my area. I had to drive 1 hour just to get Gus and Fin(passed away). They were from a local store that only got a couple guinea pigs at a time from a breeder. I’m not in a huge rush to find a pig as Gus isn’t showing signs of depression but I would still like to get him a friend by the end of the month. I am checking in with my “local” (1 1/2 hours away) Petco to see if they get in any for adoption. So I was wondering if any one had any ideas for what my best bet would be. And if it comes down to it has anyone had better success with Petco or Petsmart with guinea pigs? Again I really don’t like supporting those stores and won’t even buy supplies from there but in the end it’s my guinea pig’s health and happiness that is getting put befor my beliefs. Thank you for your time and all suggestions are appreciated :luv:

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello, recently I had a guinea pig pass away leaving his cage mate Gus all alone. Gus has been handling it very well and the only behavioral change is that his a bit more skidish than normal. But none the less I will definitely be getting Gus a new buddy. The only problem is my nearest rescue that takes in small animals is 3 hours away. I really want to adopt but it is very hard to find guinea pigs in my area. I had to drive 1 hour just to get Gus and Fin(passed away). They were from a local store that only got a couple guinea pigs at a time from a breeder. I’m not in a huge rush to find a pig as Gus isn’t showing signs of depression but I would still like to get him a friend by the end of the month. I am checking in with my “local” (1 1/2 hours away) Petco to see if they get in any for adoption. So I was wondering if any one had any ideas for what my best bet would be. And if it comes down to it has anyone had better success with Petco or Petsmart with guinea pigs? Again I really don’t like supporting those stores and won’t even buy supplies from there but in the end it’s my guinea pig’s health and happiness that is getting put befor my beliefs. Thank you for your time and all suggestions are appreciated :luv:
It is great that you have researched rescues and are willing to adopt; unfortunately not everybody has access to a good rescue. We all depend on what we can do locally.

I have travelled over 3 hours each way on the train across the UK several times to pick up a very special guinea pig/guinea pigs from a rescue or to help with an emergency transport in order to get frail and older guinea pigs into a safe place, but it is not something that everybody can do or should be expected to do. I know that I am rather crazy in that respect! One of the guinea pigs I had to wait for for 5 months until she was healthy and stable enough to be adopted and to travel so far with her little mate. But Pili Pala (Welsh for Butterfly) is still with me and she is a darling piggy despite her horrible background.

If rescuing is not a reasonable option, then you let pragmatic aspects be your guide. Ideally you look for a baby shop boar that is rather submissive than feisty and dominant with the mates in the cage (generally makes for a more stable bond during the teenage months), but he should still be healthy and not have crusty eyes/loud breathing or bald patches etc.

If you are experienced and have the financial/access to a piggy savvy vet resources to deal with a potentially expensive learning curve, then you can brave the free-ads - but all risks are on your side. It is always amazing just how economical with the truth people that are keen to be rid of a no longer wanted pet can be!

With a pet shop you can at least reclaim any vet cost that arise in the first 2 weeks after a sale, as that comes under the heading of selling damaged ware since exposure and infection must have happened at the shop.

PS: Also double check the gender with us before bonding!

Pearl and Zip

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Try checking Craigslist. There are usually a number of people who don’t want to give their unwanted piggies to a shelter (usually they are worried the pig will get euthanized), so they put them up for adoption on Craigslist.

Shelby._.

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It is great that you have researched rescues and are willing to adopt; unfortunately not everybody has access to a good rescue. We all depend on what we can do locally.

I have travelled over 3 hours each way on the train across the UK several times to pick up a very special guinea pig/guinea pigs from a rescue or to help with an emergency transport in order to get frail and older guinea pigs into a safe place, but it is not something that everybody can do or should be expected to do. I know that I am rather crazy in that respect! One of the guinea pigs I had to wait for for 5 months until she was healthy and stable enough to be adopted and to travel so far with her little mate. But Pili Pala (Welsh for Butterfly) is still with me and she is a darling piggy despite her horrible background.

If rescuing is not a reasonable option, then you let pragmatic aspects be your guide. Ideally you look for a baby shop boar that is rather submissive than feisty and dominant with the mates in the cage (generally makes for a more stable bond during the teenage months), but he should still be healthy and not have crusty eyes/loud breathing or bald patches etc.
If you are experienced and have the resources to deal with a potentially expensive learning curve, then you can brave the free-ads - but all risks are on your side. It is always amazing just how economical with the truth people that are keen to be rid of a no longer wanted pet can be!

With a pet shop you can at least reclaim any vet cost that arise in the first 2 weeks after a sale, as that comes under the heading of selling damaged ware since exposure and infection must have happened at the shop.

PS: Also double check the gender with us before bonding!
Thank you sooo much! This was extremely helpful and has made me feel so much better about getting a little piggie friend for Gus! I’m so glad that I joined this forum, in the day I’ve been a part of it I have learned so much and it’s been extremely helpful!

Shelby._.

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Try checking Craigslist. There are usually a number of people who don’t want to give their unwanted piggies to a shelter (usually they are worried the pig will get euthanized), so they put them up for adoption on Craigslist.
I didn’t think about Craigslist in that way. Thank you very much for sharing :))

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
I didn’t think about Craigslist in that way. Thank you very much for sharing :))
Just be careful in making sure that you do not end up with an ill or unsociable piggy of you go on the free-ads like Craigslist or kijiji. It can be great, but several of our members have also had very bad and expensive experiences! The risks are all on your side in this one.

Whenever you get a piggy that you cannot date and that your own boar cannot choose, please have a plan B at the ready, so you can keep them side by side with interaction through the bars if things don't work out. And please double check the gender and if necessary quarantine. We have got lots of bonding information at the top of our behaviour section. With a baby, the need for company is overwheening that is overriding quarantine; but if you get a boar from the free-ads you do not know what kind of care they have got, it is wise to quarantine first. You do not have the same recourse as you have with a shop.
When rescue dating, it takes about 1-3 introductions on average to find a new Mr Right your boar clicks with. When you have to get a piggy yourself, the risk of them not clicking is about 50%; accpetance with a baby is a little higher, but by no means not guaranteed.

https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/sexing-separating-baby-boars-and-rehoming-babies.109391/
Importance Of Quarantine
Illustrated Bonding / Dominance Behaviours And Dynamics

Shelby._.

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Just be careful in making sure that you do not end up with an ill or unsociable piggy of you go on the free-ads like Craigslist or kijiji. It can be great, but several of our members have also had very bad and expensive experiences! The risks are all on your side in this one.

Whenever you get a piggy that you cannot date and that your own boar cannot choose, please have a plan B at the ready, so you can keep them side by side with interaction through the bars if things don't work out. And please double check the gender and if necessary quarantine. We have got lots of bonding information at the top of our behaviour section. With a baby, the need for company is overwheening that is overriding quarantine; but if you get a boar from the free-ads you do not know what kind of care they have got, it is wise to quarantine first. You do not have the same recourse as you have with a shop.
When rescue dating, it takes about 1-3 introductions on average to find a new Mr Right your boar clicks with. When you have to get a piggy yourself, the risk of them not clicking is about 50%; accpetance with a baby is a little higher, but by no means not guaranteed.

https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/sexing-separating-baby-boars-and-rehoming-babies.109391/
Importance Of Quarantine
Illustrated Bonding / Dominance Behaviours And Dynamics
Thank you very much this was very helpful!

Freela

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It's hard when not every area has access to rescues, or the rescues available don't provide what you're looking for (for instance, the one rescue in my area only adopts out already-bonded pairs- this has never worked for me as I have pigs of different ages and am always looking for one to pair up with a remaining pig after an older pig passes away.) Mine are from pet stores, as it's the best I could do under my circumstances.

My advice would be to check out the pet stores thoroughly. Make sure that the animals look healthy, that there is no one in the mix that looks ill. This is less an issue with boars, but with sows I will only buy from one place (in our area it's PetSmart) because they do not mix the genders, even in the same store. Your mileage may vary, as I'm in Canada and the policies may differ in the US. Every other pet store in our area I have caught boars and sows in together. I do not want to deal with unplanned pregnancies!

I do always do a quarantine period because I can't guarantee that they haven't been exposed to ill animals. However, thus far I've been lucky and no one has been ill on arrival.

Shelby._.

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It's hard when not every area has access to rescues, or the rescues available don't provide what you're looking for (for instance, the one rescue in my area only adopts out already-bonded pairs- this has never worked for me as I have pigs of different ages and am always looking for one to pair up with a remaining pig after an older pig passes away.) Mine are from pet stores, as it's the best I could do under my circumstances.

My advice would be to check out the pet stores thoroughly. Make sure that the animals look healthy, that there is no one in the mix that looks ill. This is less an issue with boars, but with sows I will only buy from one place (in our area it's PetSmart) because they do not mix the genders, even in the same store. Your mileage may vary, as I'm in Canada and the policies may differ in the US. Every other pet store in our area I have caught boars and sows in together. I do not want to deal with unplanned pregnancies!

I do always do a quarantine period because I can't guarantee that they haven't been exposed to ill animals. However, thus far I've been lucky and no one has been ill on arrival.
Thank you! If I am unable to adopt/rescue a pig and have to resort to a pet store I will definitely take a close look at the animals. I’ve never even been in our pet smart lol.

PollyThePiggy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So I dislike the way stores take care of the guineas and i do not want to support them. However for me adoption wasn't an option. I did end up buying from the store in the sense they wont be there longer and get picked up by someone who has no idea what they are doing.

Shelby._.

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I thought about that too. I just don’t want to risk getting one that is ill.

Shelby._.

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So I dislike the way stores take care of the guineas and i do not want to support them. However for me adoption wasn't an option. I did end up buying from the store in the sense they wont be there longer and get picked up by someone who has no idea what they are doing.
What store did you buy from and what success did you have with them? Were the piggies ill when you got them? I’m just trying to decided which store to go to if I have to go to a store.

PollyThePiggy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
i got mine from Petco, and I think they all were pretty healthy. This is our second buy with a healthy guinea pig from that store. They were honest and told us on our first guinea pig that it had sight problems. Which turned out to be ok...

PollyThePiggy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My guinea pig has been really healthy exept for a cold she got a couple months ago but she is almost 3 years or older with no serious healthy problems.

Shelby._.

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My guinea pig has been really healthy exept for a cold she got a couple months ago but she is almost 3 years or older with no serious healthy problems.
Thank you! This will definitely be very helpful if I end up going the pet store route :))