• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

What's Normal? - Day 2 of Bonding Boars

a213jf

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all! We had the opportunity to bring home another buddy for our loner boar. Both are teenage boars (I know, not the ideal time to bond) Following the bonding/intro forum on this blog, I'd say the intros went pretty well. They spent about 4 hours in their intro area before being moved back to a 'neutralized' cage. They've been together in the cage going on Day 2 now. The dominant pig (Fabio) likes to sniff the other's (Georgie) bottom and then chase him around the cage (like a quick burst, like a lap around the cage) and then stop for a few minutes. Right at this moment, they are eating hay next to each other, but Georgie makes a move and Fabio has to sniff and chase. This happens every 5 minutes or so. There is no chattering or humping, only a little bit of rumbling from Georgie when he's chased.

We've got 14 sq feet of CC cage, two hideys with multiple exits, two water bottles/food dishes. Georgie seems to be able to eat and drink water when he wants but will occasionally be bum-sniffed by Fabio and he will run off. Now I need some reassurance or advice...is all of this normal on day 2? Will things settle down or turn for the worse?

Hi all! We had the opportunity to bring home another buddy for our loner boar. Both are teenage boars (I know, not the ideal time to bond) Following the bonding/intro forum on this blog, I'd say the intros went pretty well. They spent about 4 hours in their intro area before being moved back to a 'neutralized' cage. They've been together in the cage going on Day 2 now. The dominant pig (Fabio) likes to sniff the other's (Georgie) bottom and then chase him around the cage (like a quick burst, like a lap around the cage) and then stop for a few minutes. Right at this moment, they are eating hay next to each other, but Georgie makes a move and Fabio has to sniff and chase. This happens every 5 minutes or so. There is no chattering or humping, only a little bit of rumbling from Georgie when he's chased.

We've got 14 sq feet of CC cage, two hideys with multiple exits, two water bottles/food dishes. Georgie seems to be able to eat and drink water when he wants but will occasionally be bum-sniffed by Fabio and he will run off. Now I need some reassurance or advice...is all of this normal on day 2? Will things settle down or turn for the worse?

It sounds fairly normal for the dominance phase with one very dominant piggy. keep an eye out that Georgie can eat, drink and sleep in peace. There is no sign of aggression, though, and things will hopefully calm down a lot of over the coming days.

Back