• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

White Cloudy Eye

Hazel&Daliah

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi guys!
Today we took our guinea pig Hendrick out for lap time before going to bed. My boyfriend had mentioned earlier in the day how he noticed his little eye was watering, I explained to him that they produce a milky liquid to clean themselves as I have read it in multiple websites so we just kept doing whatever. So we took him out and I noticed two little hairs sticking out of his eye but they felt hard and dry, I turned on the light to see better and I was terrified when I saw his eye was very cloudy and what I thought were hairs, was actually hay. I immediately told my boyfriend as he was the one holding him and he carefully removed the hay. His iris and pupil look very white and cloudy, and the sclera part looks red in some parts. It was very late at night so we couldn't phone the vet, but my boyfriend will phone tomorrow and hopefully get an appointment as well. I feel awful as my boyfriend noticed the watering but didn't see the hay and I dismissed it as the normal eye discharge. We did not noticed any difference in behaviour, Hendrick always wheeks when hes scared, or uncomfortable, I mean he bumps into things and he wheeks but he didn't wheek when pulling the hay out. I am so sad that our poor piggie must have been in pain and we didn't notice it. I am also worried that he might go blind because of this. Has anyone experienced this? What did the vet recommend and was your piggie's sight affected? We have separated him from his cage mate for now as we don't know if the infection is contagious. He is eating and drinking as usual.

He needs to be seen by a vet so, I hope your boyfriend manages to get an appointment for him. The vet will have a good look at his eye and make sure all the hay is out - and probably prescribe eye drops.

As PiggyOwner said he needs to be seen by a vet, eye problems can get out of control very quickly and need the proper treatment as soon as possibal ! Let us know how he gets on

Back