• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

White Crust Around Eye

WinterAddams

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I noticed today that my piggy Nymeria is closing one of her eyes at times (like slow blinking) and has white crust around said eye. She has this white crust some times and my vet told me it's normal but she usually doesn't close her eyes like that.
She has been dewormed last week and shows no sign of an URI. She doesn't have any fur loss around her eye and the crust is definitely coming from her eye.
Could this be a conjunctivitis? She has had one and has been treated for one before. Any idea of what this could be?

I noticed today that my piggy Nymeria is closing one of her eyes at times (like slow blinking) and has white crust around said eye. She has this white crust some times and my vet told me it's normal but she usually doesn't close her eyes like that.
She has been dewormed last week and shows no sign of an URI. She doesn't have any fur loss around her eye and the crust is definitely coming from her eye.
Could this be a conjunctivitis? She has had one and has been treated for one before. Any idea of what this could be?

Closing an eye points to an eye injury or major irritation. this is not necessarily visible just by looking at it; it needs a special dye and ultraviolet light at the vets. Please have any potential eye injury checked within 24 hours. If it is a bloody injury, you need to see a vet there an then. Eye injuries deteriorate very quickly, but they also tend to heal straight forward with the right treatment.

guinea pigs secrete a white milky fluids from the eyes to aid cleaning themselves.when it dries it can leave a crust behind,similar to sleep in eyes in humans.if it is a white crust around the skin of the eye,hair falling out it can be a sign of a fungal infection.if you are at all concerned then i would advise you see a cavy savvy vet to check it out.:)

Closing an eye points to an eye injury or major irritation. this is not necessarily visible just by looking at it; it needs a special dye and ultraviolet light at the vets. Please have any potential eye injury checked within 24 hours. If it is a bloody injury, you need to see a vet there an then. Eye injuries deteriorate very quickly, but they also tend to heal straight forward with the right treatment.
I talked to my vet and she told me to clean it with a saline solution... I'm not sure what I can do now. Tomorrow is a holiday and I can't go to the vet.

It isn't red or cloudy. Seems to be closing due to the fluid.
I'm not sure because I haven't checked her again but it could have been some hay dust that got on her eye and she wad cleaning it.
My vet just told me to keep an eye on her and see if it gets better.

I just checked on her and she doesn't have any fluid around her eye anymore and it isn't opening and closing either. No visible sign of irritation and she is reacting to my fingers the same way on both eyes (like me putting my finger closer to her eye).

I just checked on her and she doesn't have any fluid around her eye anymore and it isn't opening and closing either. No visible sign of irritation and she is reacting to my fingers the same way on both eyes (like me putting my finger closer to her eye).

You cannot necessarily see a perforation of the cornea under a layer of watery fluid with a normal inspection. Please keep that in mind!

Hopefully it was just a temporary irritation, but please see a vet promptly whenever there is a possibility of an eye injury.

You cannot necessarily see a perforation of the cornea under a layer of watery fluid with a normal inspection. Please keep that in mind!

Hopefully it was just a temporary irritation, but please see a vet promptly whenever there is a possibility of an eye injury.
I will, I always go to the vet whenever something is out of the ordinary.
I just checked on her again and her eye isn't crusty or closing. I think it was just temporary. Thank God hehe.

Back