• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

White guinea pig is always getting dirty

Dixiebaby3

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My white guinea pig, Oreo has been getting dark yellow pee stains on her rear a lot more than before. Sometimes she gets so wet I can’t even hold her! Today I gave her a bum bath, but she still has a bit of yellow underneath her. I trimmed her hair just a little bit in the back but she is an Abyssinian and has really short hair so there isn’t much to cut off.

What can I do to prevent her from getting more stains in the future? (I want to bathe her as little as possible because I read it dries their skin.) I don’t mind the color as much but this one spot of her fur keeps getting soaking wet when she pees!

I have multiple different “litter boxes” I fill with hay that I can’t stop my guineas from going to the bathroom in. She probably gets gets stains from camping out in there. I clean out and disinfect their litter boxes every 1-2 days. I don’t know what else I to do!

What are they bedded on? It may be when she’s relaxed she pees and stains herself. There isn’t really anything you can do about the colour.

My Luna permanently has yellow trousers. I've given up trying to keep her white!
I’m glad to hear someone else has the same problem. She didn’t used to get as dirty before. Maybe it’s just because she’s getting older. 😂 So there’s nothing wrong with leaving her yellow?

I’m glad to hear someone else has the same problem. She didn’t used to get as dirty before. Maybe it’s just because she’s getting older. 😂 So there’s nothing wrong with leaving her yellow?
As long as she's not constantly wet, that could be a sign of UTI.

Also be aware that towels won’t necessarily dry quickly. Also think about the suggestions above.

i have several white piggies and some seem to have yellow bums,i just clip the hair very short around there bums.maybe as others have suggested to use an absorbent bedding in the hay trays,megazorb is good for litter trays.it is really any bedding that works for you and your piggies.:hug:

Pepper is always a little yellow too, we have some good fleece pee pads that we use that have definetly helped, but I know not every pig will pee on a fleece square 😂

I too have this problem with luna the guinea pig. Shes a peruvian which doesnt help the matter as her fur at her butt gets knotted as well as wet and yellow

I’m thinking the fleece might be a little too thin. Sometimes I put towels underneath to keep it from getting soiled

Hi!

Please have her vet checked for either issues with increased urination or with arthritis, which can prevent her from cleaning herself. Neither issue is uncommon in older piggies but any marked changes in behaviour or appearance should be seen if possible.

You may also find the tips in this guide here helpful if decreased mobility from arthritis is a problem: Looking after guinea pigs with limited or no mobility

You need an absorbent layer underneath the fleece and wash the fleece with a detergent-free product.
Here is our detailed and comprehensive fleece guide: A Detailed Guide For Fleece Bedding

Unfortunately you cannot wash out any yellow stains but you can cut off any badly soiled or matted hairs round the genitalia and legs; even in a short-haired piggy they should grow back. A piggy that struggles with cleaning itself will need more help from you (see mobility guide).
An Illustrated Guide to Hair Cutting

Back