• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Will guinea pigs grieve for their owner?

CaviesAllTheWay

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I have recently become very sick and might pass away. Although i know my piggies will be taken care of if i pass, I wanted to know whether they'll grieve my death. I don't even know if they'll know that I passed, however it worries me that they would have to suffer. I am quite young, so hopefully nothing will happen. Even so, I would like to know so that I may warn my brother before my passing. Thank you in advance for answering.

I have recently become very sick and might pass away. Although i know my piggies will be taken care of if i pass, I wanted to know whether they'll grieve my death. I don't even know if they'll know that I passed, however it worries me that they would have to suffer. I am quite young, so hopefully nothing will happen. Even so, I would like to know so that I may warn my brother before my passing. Thank you in advance for answering.

Hi and welcome

I am very sorry for your situation and keep my fingers crossed that you will pull through!

Your piggies will be missing you but they don't grieve quite the same way as humans as they are much more strongly wired to put survival first. If the transition is a gradual one, i.e. their new care giver is already caring for him then there is likely no outward sign of grieving although they will have to build up a relationship with him the same as they did with you.
I have adopted several much loved piggies over the years. While they went on with their own daily lives, they have made it rather clear at the start that I wasn't up to scratch compared to their previous owner and they took a while to warm to me and come to fully like and trust me.

I hope that this will help to ease your mind? I would recommend that you write down any care details and point your brother our way if he has questions or concerns at any point, provided he is over 18 years old.

Thank you for the advice. I will let my brother know he is 24 and has already began his relationship with the piggies. Although they don't seem to like him much, I hope their bond will get strong the more time they spend together. After all, he has the best relationship with them out of everyone who can care for them. Thank you again, It really does ease my mind.

Thank you for the advice. I will let my brother know he is 24 and has already began his relationship with the piggies. Although they don't seem to like him much, I hope their bond will get strong the more time they spend together. After all, he has the best relationship with them out of everyone who can care for them. Thank you again, It really does ease my mind.

Please give your brother these very helpful links here so he can start making friends with them in their own language. That will speed up the process. It won't take anything away from the bond you are sharing as each bond ties into a different place in the heart and is unique. You can never replace a bond; just create a new one.
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering And Cuddling Tips

Here is our new owners guide collection to help him learn what is normal and what now, understand their behaviour, learn how to monitor their health, spot signs of illness quickly and know how soon to see a vet.
We are addressing all the sticky little details that tend to throw a newbie if they are not precise enough.
It is worth bookmarking and using as a resource. The guide format allows us to update and extend at need, unlike a book.
Getting Started - New Owners' Most Helpful Guides

You brother is welcome to join our friendly forum. He won't be the only guy on here!

Welcome to the forum .
So sorry that you are so sick and I will keep you in my heart, praying for healing.

@Wiebke has given you everything you need to know about care for your piggies so I won’t repeat what she’s said.
However, strange as it may sound, you have a gift of time. This time is to build memories, to say everything that should be said, to live life to the full even if it’s not going to be many years.
Treat every day as precious for you and your family and your friends.

We can support you in any way you need, for yourself and the piggies.

Welcome to the forum .
So sorry that you are so sick and I will keep you in my heart, praying for healing.

@Wiebke has given you everything you need to know about care for your piggies so I won’t repeat what she’s said.
However, strange as it may sound, you have a gift of time. This time is to build memories, to say everything that should be said, to live life to the full even if it’s not going to be many years.
Treat every day as precious for you and your family and your friends.

We can support you in any way you need, for yourself and the piggies.

Thank you very much for your kind words. I will spend most of the time I still have with my piggies and make as much memories as I can. Another thing, ill try to update if i were to get better to not worry anyone.

Back