• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

3 year Old Female; Genital/blood

Status
Not open for further replies.

crnyng

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I feel as though I'm always on here but my newest of adoptions has on and off been having bloody pee. I noticed it the first day I brought her home, I instantly collected urine and brought it to the vets to be tested for blood in the urine, it came back negative for blood so was told nothing to worry about. Didn't happen again so put it aside. As of recently she has done it again and more constant than the first time. I have only had her for 3 weeks about. I'm worried that it may be cyst but I have also read that when females go into heat they discharge sometimes which could be mistaken as blood. I plan on taking her in regardless as soon as I have off work but I would greatly appreciate insight and some thoughts on the situation.

image.jpg

image.jpg

We have had a couple of pigs with blood in the same spot, first was Terk who had an ovarian tumour. She had Chroulon hormone injections which kept it at bay and we had a whole extra year with her. Star did it too, but it seemed to conincide with her being in season and she was checked over and nothing was found (cysts or tumours). We lost her in the end to renal failure as a side effect of her heart meds (she was a heart pig too). If it is cysts there are a few different options. Fuzzy had cysts recently but did not bleed, though not every pig shows every symptom. Your vet would need to check for Pyometra too but I would expect her to be less bright if that was the case.

I was told at one point that the only option with cyst and etc is to be spayed. Is this correct?

No not any more, Fuzzy was spayed because her membrane was permanently open and so she was at risk of Pyometra but a lot of vets now opt for hormone injections first, with a spay further down the line if the injections don't work.

There's also a vet that can do ovariectomies :D I'm hoping mine can have that done rather than be spayed. Tried hormone injections with Coco but they don't seem to have helped her :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back