Wilmaandluna

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all! Got my first two lady piggies recently, we have them a week now and they are settling in so well, they eat their veggies from our hands and have started to become very vocal for their dinner time etc. They are about 11/12 weeks old.
Can anyone give me advice on when to start lap time and how to go about it? We have let them settle in and not picked them up etc so they start to build up trust with us. They come out and say hello and are confident (one a little more so than the other) but I don't want to scare them by grabbing them out of their cage so would love some tips!

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all! Got my first two lady piggies recently, we have them a week now and they are settling in so well, they eat their veggies from our hands and have started to become very vocal for their dinner time etc. They are about 11/12 weeks old.
Can anyone give me advice on when to start lap time and how to go about it? We have let them settle in and not picked them up etc so they start to build up trust with us. They come out and say hello and are confident (one a little more so than the other) but I don't want to scare them by grabbing them out of their cage so would love some tips!

Hi and welcome!

You may find the detailed advice on lap time and how to introduce it in this link here helpful: Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering And Cuddling Tips

This guide is part of our comprehensive new owners guide collection, in which we specifically address all the areas that we get the most questions and concerns about in as practical, helpful and precise a way as possible: Getting Started - New Owners' Most Helpful Guides

Merab's Slave

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
Your piggies do sound as if they’re settling well.
You are doing all the right things with them.
No piggies like being picked up - as prey animals their default position is: You’re going to eat me!

This is where the advice @Wiebke has pointed out for you is so good.
I used a snuggle pouch to capture mine when they were young and skittish - it helped them to feel safe

Wilmaandluna

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Your piggies do sound as if they’re settling well.
You are doing all the right things with them.
No piggies like being picked up - as prey animals their default position is: You’re going to eat me!

This is where the advice @Wiebke has pointed out for you is so good.
I used a snuggle pouch to capture mine when they were young and skittish - it helped them to feel safe
Thanks so much, we caught them in their cuddly tube yesterday to try them out, the more confident was okay, she wasn't paralysed with fear, explored a little and seemed content to hide away on my lap in a run. The more skittish one however, we couldn't even take our hand away from the tunnel for fear she would run right off the bed, she didn't freeze in fear she was really trying to get away so I'm thinking give her a little more time to settle in before taking her out again or is that something you keep doing? Keep her in her tube and get her used to nothing bad happening to her?

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks so much, we caught them in their cuddly tube yesterday to try them out, the more confident was okay, she wasn't paralysed with fear, explored a little and seemed content to hide away on my lap in a run. The more skittish one however, we couldn't even take our hand away from the tunnel for fear she would run right off the bed, she didn't freeze in fear she was really trying to get away so I'm thinking give her a little more time to settle in before taking her out again or is that something you keep doing? Keep her in her tube and get her used to nothing bad happening to her?

Put a little treat in the tube and let her go to sleep in it. Allow them time to get relaxed with whatever pick-up conveyance you are using before tou star picking up. ;)

Alternatively to a tube you can use a lidded cardboard box as shown in the picking up guide: How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pig Safely