• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Dental Advice please after a dental

Gemm24

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi

My guinea pig went for a dental 3 days ago.
He was VERY groggy and out of it when he came home after his operation and they gave him a subcutaneous fluid injection.

He now seems much brighter and happier and seems himself EXCEPT he is still struggling to eat. He is eating thin bits of hay but struggling with big chunks of veg and not eating any pellets. He is still attempting to eat but the food just falls out his mouth (like it was before he had his dental) He is still loosing weight-he has lost 30g since he had the dental.
I am giving him meta cam every morning.

Should I take him back to the vet or just monitor him? How long does is take for him to get better and eat normally after a dental? I’m very worried about him. Any advice will be much appreciated!

If the teeth are done correctly, the guinea pig will usually be eating either immediately, or within a day or two. Every day that goes by without them eating, means the teeth are overgrowing again, which means the guinea pig won't be able to eat. Were you given a follow up appointment with the vet?

No, they said just give him lots of his favourite veg.
I have had another guinea pig who needed a dental (same vet practitioner very but a different vet) and she was ok almost immediately. Do u think I need to go back to the vet? Does it sound like he might need another dental?

No, they said just give him lots of his favourite veg.
I have had another guinea pig who needed a dental (same vet practitioner very but a different vet) and she was ok almost immediately. Do you think I need to go back to the vet? Does it sound like he might need another dental?

How dental savvy is your vet? Many vets, especially general vets have no experience with guinea pig/rodent dentals.
Please contact the clinic but insist on seeing the vet who did the better dental.

Please continue syringe feeding in order to keep the weight as stable as possible; over 80% of the daily food intake should be hay. Too much veg will cause problems with the digestion.

If dental/eating problems persist, please consider travelling to the Cat&Rabbit Care Clinic in Northampton; Simon Maddock is seeing dental piggies from all over the country and does more dentals in a week than most vets in their life time. It usually takes a few rounds at decreasing intervals to rebalance a dental system that is pretty overgrown or has a pain issue. One off treatment is usually only successful in the longer term if the problem has been very mild or the cause of the pain has been removed (like an abscess).
The Cat and Rabbit Care Clinic

The vet I saw has neutered two of my guinea pigs so I assumed he would be good at other procedures but it’s sounding like he hasnt done the dental right. He is eating hay-it’s the only thing he can eat.

Very few vets are able to sort out guinea pig teeth. Unlike rabbits, where as long as you get rid of any spikey bits, the rabbit will eat, guinea pig teeth have to be perfect, before the piggy is able to eat properly.

The vet we use here at TEAS is amazing and people travel the length and breadth of the country to see him with their dental piggies. Simon is able to carry out dental work without the need for GA, which means the guinea pig doesn't have to get over an anaesthetic and most are eating for themselves before they leave the practice.

If at all possible, bring your piggy to see Simon. I can promise it won't be a wasted journey and in the long run, it will save you a lot of money too.

www.catandrabbit.co.uk

Thank you for your help. I have an appointment with the “better” vet who treated my other guinea pig. In the meantime I have critical care and science selective recovery to syringe feed him.
Thanks again. I feel a bit less worried now I have a different vet seeing him. But fingers crossed he can come through this.

Update! I saw the vet today and she said all the spurs have been taken down off his teeth but some teeth on the left hand side are inclined inwards. Also he had pain when moving the jaw to the left. Everything was fine on the right side. She said it’s not the teeth and more likely the jaw but doesn’t know what the cause is-it could be infection or something else. I was offered antibiotics for a week, see if there is improvement, if not then some X-rays to see if they can see anything and if they can’t then a referral is needed. So he isn’t out of the woods yet-i just hope he makes it throUgh this!

I hope he does too @Gemm only just caught up with this thread! Having had Christian go through a life saving operation less than 3 weeks ago (he is still on ABs and hasn't been signed off yet) I know what a worrying time you are having. With your loving care you'll both come through this.

Hi

I have had an awful week with my guinea pigs, I have been so stressed and upset but this forum has really helped me-thank you!

At the start of the week one of my guinea pigs (Oreo) died and I have posted on the rainbow bridge. She was the first one of my family to pass away and I have been really struggling with it. On top of that Alvin (who lives in a different cage) has been losing weight due to possible jaw/teeth problems and I have posted about that/seen the vet etc. It’s all really stressful and upsetting but I’m soldiering on for my guinea pigs.
Today I weighed all my guinea pigs as normal and Oreo’s cage buddy (Cleo) has lost 70g since Oreo died a week ago. She seems a little more clingy than normal but apart from that is eating/drinking and being her usual cheeky self. I am giving her half the veg and pellets she normally has because there is just her now but I don’t think that would account for her weight loss. Is this normal or should I get her checked out at the vet or continue to monitor her?
I’m worried about her. Please can you help?

So sorry for your loss. It sounds like you have a week from Hell with your guinea pigs so I am sending you lots of Hugs!
:hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:

I expect little Cleo is grieving since the loss of her friend. This link will help you to help her:-

Looking After A Bereaved Guinea Pig

I’m so sorry for your loss, sounds like you having a tough time. Hang in there and I’m sure you will get through.
Great advice from @Betsy :nod:

I'm so sorry you are going through this horrible time. Sending huge hugs x

Hi

I have had an awful week with my guinea pigs, I have been so stressed and upset but this forum has really helped me-thank you!

At the start of the week one of my guinea pigs (Oreo) died and I have posted on the rainbow bridge. She was the first one of my family to pass away and I have been really struggling with it. On top of that Alvin (who lives in a different cage) has been losing weight due to possible jaw/teeth problems and I have posted about that/seen the vet etc. It’s all really stressful and upsetting but I’m soldiering on for my guinea pigs.
Today I weighed all my guinea pigs as normal and Oreo’s cage buddy (Cleo) has lost 70g since Oreo died a week ago. She seems a little more clingy than normal but apart from that is eating/drinking and being her usual cheeky self. I am giving her half the veg and pellets she normally has because there is just her now but I don’t think that would account for her weight loss. Is this normal or should I get her checked out at the vet or continue to monitor her?
I’m worried about her. Please can you help?

Hi! I am very sorry for your ongoing problems. These things always seem to happen in clusters as I know from my own experience. :(

We recommend to have any weight loss of 50g that happens from one day to another or within a week vet checked.

It can well be that she has been eating more than her fair share, but that is for the vet to decide! The loss of a companion does also affect piggies that are not acutely pining and can contribute to underlying problems coming to the fore.

What a time you are having. I’ve nothing to add but support.

Update! Thank you everyone for your support

I think I was just over worrying with Cleo-I weighed her again after I fed her and weighed her for the past two days and she has lost about 30g so just something I’m going to monitor.

With Alvin I took him to see Aiden at Ashleigh vets. He was so good! He has a check of alvins teeth and said there may be a problem with his back molarbut couldn’t see a lot because there was too much saliva, he told me to stop giving Alvin the baytril and continue with the metacam. Alvin is booked in for a full exam and X-rays tomorrow. Fingers crossed they find something that can be fixed. I feels like he is in very capable hands and that I’m doing all I can for him.

Back