• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement
Status
Not open for further replies.

honeybakedhann_

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I have had many guineas in the past and no problems. My new pig has taken a liking to nibbling on my arms and it has caused me to break out in hives. I thought it was the hay so I've tried orchid grass and oat hay but the hives on my neck refused to shrink. I started to believe it was acne until my baby bit my arm and I instant felt burning. The welts have grown and spread. I've never had a nibbling pig before. I don't believe she is being agressive or fearful because she is licking me along with the nibbling like she is grooming me. Any advice to stop the teething or has anyone else experienced this?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Oh what a shame . I always think it is lovely when a guinea pig licks their owner.

Your neck is very red - do you think this is a reaction to your guinea pig licking you ?

Some breeds of piggy seem to cause reactions more than others too. I have heard that rexoid hair types (so rex, swiss, teddy and some others) seem to cause more problems than smoother haired breeds but seeing about antihistamines is a good first step...

Thank you guys so much! I was going to stop by the doctor this week for a check up anyway.

Oh what a shame . I always think it is lovely when a guinea pig licks their owner.

Your neck is very red - do you think this is a reaction to your guinea pig licking you ?
My pig likes to jump on my shoulder and hang out there. I'm almost certain the rash is from her.

I believe it is the saliva of guinea pigs that causes an allergic reaction so it makes a lot of sense that this piggie is causing more problems than past ones. Also allergies can develop over time. Hope the anihistamines work.

I have allergies, I'm on a nasal spray and tablets from the Dr's. I have rhinitis though. I also do seem to go a bit red on my chest sometimes.

Hope the Dr can help you :)

Hopefully antihistamines will help! I have heard that saliva is a more potent irritant than fur, so the fact that your pig likes to lick and nibble may make it worse. Some of them just seem to be 'kissers' (Sundae is one of those!) I manage to avoid being nibbled by moving my hand away after the first couple of licks, but she's very difficult to discourage, and I think it is affection on her part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back