• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Amount Of Water Being Drunk

Kallasia

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all,

So my two piggies drink very different amounts of water. I've been monitoring them for a couple of weeks now to get some averages.

Binky, 4 years old, drinks 150ml of water every day.
Errol, nearly 1 year old, drinks 10ml of water every day.

Given that Binky drinks 140ml more than Errol every day, but they're almost the same size (Errol 1kg and Binky 1.3kg) what's going on?

Is Binky drinking too much? Is Errol not drinking enough?

Hmmmm

Depends on the piggy to be honest. Have you got the central heating on? How do you know who is drinking what?

Hmmmm

Depends on the piggy to be honest. Have you got the central heating on? How do you know who is drinking what?

Central heating is on, pig room averages 17.6C.
Binky only drinks downstairs and Errol only drinks upstairs - don't ask why, I've no idea!
Even when they think we're not watching because we're at work, I can see on the CCTV they stick to the rules of separate drinking bottles!

Central heating is on, pig room averages 17.6C.
Binky only drinks downstairs and Errol only drinks upstairs - don't ask why, I've no idea!
Even when they think we're not watching because we're at work, I can see on the CCTV they stick to the rules of separate drinking bottles!

No overally hot then...

Funny little things aren't they.. :))

There is no real guide to how much pigs drink.

Widget drinks lots..... Sarsaparilla hardly drank she used to get most water uptake from veggies I think which we have always soaked really wet. We also feed cucumber twice a day...

There is varying info out there on the net and indeed this site. 150ml is quite a lot of water, but could be normal for Binky, I would be concerned if this was a change in behavior say after 6 months he started drinking this amount where previously her drank less.
I would also suspect a slow leak maybe on the water bottle perhaps.

I would say if you have concerns next time you are at the vet get a dipstick test done on his wee, just to check for possible diabetes that sort of thing

All About Drinking And Bottles
You might find this link helpful.
They do have funny little ways don't they? Peanut will only eat standing on Spike's right, he also only uses the right hand bottle! I've tried swaping the bottles over in case he prefers the nozzle on one but it seems to be the cage position that's in favour.

Thanks guys :) Binky has always drunk a lot more than Errol although I think it has been gradually increasing over the past few months. It could just be that I'm more aware and keeping more of an eye on his drinking and he's actually always drunk this much.
We give cucumber every day and this like celery and tomato as treats so I think Errol is getting water from those. Would you be concerned about how little he drinks or not really?

Back